HS Precision Take Down Rifle

Frankie_2_Times

I am interested in the HS Presicion take down rifle in the PHR series. I found one second hand in .338 and wondered if anyone has any experience with the rifle. Any comments, especially from first hand experience would be appreciated. Any idea what this rifle would be worth on the used market?

I looked into them for a while, but the price tag was around 4K if I remember right...

what changed my mind was that it cost 2K for a diff barrel. You can build a sweet bolt gun for 2k, and then have a couple differant guns.

I do think the take down has the cool factor going for it, but not for that kind of $$$$.

I have heard nothing but good things about HS though, so if you decide to go with them I don't think you'll be sorry....except for the price.

good luck, hope that helps a little, sorry I don't have more info than that though....

I played with one in 338 Lapua several years back developing loads for a customer. Appearance was great, very nice idea as well, only problem was that at 100 yards, the very best groups were in the 1.75" range. These were the VERY best!! Most were in the +2" range and some even over 3".

I was not impressed at all with the accuracy of the rifle. A while later I read a review in Shooting Times Magazine about a very similiar rifle. Accuracy reports in that testing were nearly identical to mine. Funny thing is that the author felt this was totally acceptable. I believe it was Rick Jamison who was testing the rifle.

I have only seen two test of this rifle type. Mine and Jamisons, they both reflected the same poor consistancy. jamison said that since this rifle was so powerful, the group size was totally acceptable.

If I made a 338 Lapua or any rifle that shot that poorly, I would never let it out the door!!!

If I were you I would pass on the rifle. Its a good idea but I would guess you will not get the consistancy you want in a rifle. Especially if your hanging around here and think like most of us do!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I HAD one in 338 LAPUA, 2000LA. I don't buy H-S Precision rifles anymore. Hopefully you're not buying my old one.

I bought a 308 and a 300 win takedown from H-S at the 1996 0r 97 Shot Show.Back then,they retailed for $1795.00,dealer was about $1400.00.I kept the 308 and sold off the 300.There's no way I would ever pay anything close to what they sell for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts