Hs precision?

Who did you guys talk to? I've contacted them several times and had positive experiences each time. Their stocks are IMHO the best bargain for the money.

It was over a year ago and I dont remeber who I talked to. maybe he was real busy at the time, but I definitely remember he told me their policy was that their stocks were for their rifles and there was nothing friendly about our short conversation. I wouldn't exactley call it unfriendly, but I definitely got the *impression* from "why would I think about buying one of their stocks to put on another rifle?"'

I think they make great stocks. I have two of them on factory Senderos. But IMO, B&C makes just as good of a stock for about $100 less.

I cant speak out of experience but a Howa would be far from the top of my list to use as a donnor action. A trued rem 700 and the many clones out there are bar far better IMO.

Can you explain exactly why a Howa would be far fron the top of your list as a donor action? I have two 700's and a Howa action and I can guarantee you that IME, the Howa is better in every aspect than the 700's. It's stronger, it has an integrated built in recoil lug, it has a one piece bolt, it has a Sako style claw extractor, the bolt is much tighter and smoother than the 700, the bolt body has three ports for expelling gas, the safety is more reliable, the trigger is MUCH easier to adjust and tune. I can not think of a single area that the 700 beats the Howa. I was planning to build off my Sendero 700 platforms when the barrels burned out but I'm now leaning to selling them and building off of Howas. Wanna buy a 700? :)

So just curious why you think the 700 is superior in every aspect.

I am far from being experienced enuff to get in to that disscusion with any one. But here goes !!!! :DIMO... I think I was simply stating MY opinion on a CUSTOM rifle build in the 4 k $ dollar range a howa would be far from my first choice. How many BR or F class events have been won with a Howa ? Compaired to a Rem 700, 40 x or any of the numerous clones of such ? I think I said I didn't have any experience with a howa... so that is my mocking bird mouth in front of my humming bird ***... LOL ... If I was going to drop 4 k on a new rig it would be on a custom action.... Not a Remmy or a Howa.... so my bad... As far as triggers go ya the old remmys suck... I would put a jewel on it and be done... As far as supply of after market add ons the remmy is far easier to equip... Bottom metal... box mags... stocks ... trigers... and as far as the sako extract goes its a simple add on any good smith can do. In the event of catastrophic rupture i still think I would rather find my self behind a 700. YA how much you want for them ? :D

so that is my mocking bird mouth in front of my humming bird ***...

That would be a good one for me to remember :D

Yup, you will see a lot more 700 and 700 clones than Howa or anything else simply because they are much more prolific and yes there are more after market parts for them becasue they are more prolific. It's a self feeding cycle, they are more common because there more parts for them and there are more parts for them because they are more common. Having said that, there are a lot of after market patrs for Howa's as well although not as many as the 700. The same Howa M1500 action comes in (or used to come in) three makes. The Howa 1500, the S&W 1500 (which I have) and the Weatherby Vanguards and Sub MOA Vanguards. Also, any ring base that fits a 700 will fit a Howa 1500.

I actually like the Rem triggers but they were a pain to adjust and tune. Mine break very nicely at about 1 1/2 lbs (guesstimate) I have never fired a Jewel trigger and maybe I dont want to so I dont get the idea I cant live without one :D My Howa probably breaks at about 1 lb very nicely.

I would not drop $4K on any rifle, not when I could get a full custom for $3K. And the more I think of it, I like the Howa actions better than the custom Rem 700 clones because of the Howa's recoil lug... and it's a stronger receiver... at least it appears to be when I look at them side by side.

I will keep you in mind if and when I'm ready to sell my 700's. In the meantime, I have some barrel life to use up :)

Last edited:
That would be a good one for me to remember :D

Yup, you will see a lot more 700 and 700 clones than Howa or anything else simply because they are much more prolific and yes there are more after market parts for them becasue they are more prolific. It's a self feeding cycle, they are more common because there more parts for them and there are more parts for them because they are more common. Having said that, there are a lot of after market patrs for Howa's as well although not as many as the 700. The same Howa M1500 action comes in (or used to come in) three makes. The Howa 1500, the S&W 1500 (which I have) and the Weatherby Vanguards and Sub MOA Vanguards. Also, any ring base that fits a 700 will fit a Howa 1500.

I actually like the Rem triggers but they were a pain to adjust and tune. My break very nicely at about 1 1/2 lbs (guesstimate) I have never fired a Jewel trigger and maybe I dont want to so I dont get the idea I cant live without one :D My Howa probably breaks at about 1 lb very nicely.

I would not drop $4K on any rifle, not when I could get a full custom for $3K. And the more I think of it, I like the Howa actions better than the custom Rem 700 clones because of the Howa's recoil lug... and it's a stronger receiver... at least it appears to be when I look at them side by side.

I will keep you in mind if and when I'm ready to sell my 700's. In the meantime, I have some barrel life to use up :)
You can also add that both Mcmillian and Mannars are inletting tactical stocks for Howa's. Howa's are also closer to being trued out of the box than Remingtons. Untill you start to get into the Sendero price range the barrels on Howa's are arguably better than a comparably price Remington.

Boys I can find a custom rifle for less than 3 grand even 2 too that is not the meaning, a couple of you where dissing HS the gentleman asked a question about HS and away the bad words flew. It is not my rifle is better than yours. If you want a true cheap MOA gun Weatherby shoots way better than any Savage for $300 less period. Don't talk smack about a business unless you really know the facts. Lets watch what you are all typing. This is one of my Pet pevs. Anybody can cut down any gunsmith or business about something. Lets keep this web site clean, Len does a excellent job on this site don't destroy it please.

Boys I can find a custom rifle for less than 3 grand even 2 too that is not the meaning, a couple of you where dissing HS the gentleman asked a question about HS and away the bad words flew. It is not my rifle is better than yours. If you want a true cheap MOA gun Weatherby shoots way better than any Savage for $300 less period. Don't talk smack about a business unless you really know the facts. Lets watch what you are all typing. This is one of my Pet pevs. Anybody can cut down any gunsmith or business about something. Lets keep this web site clean, Len does a excellent job on this site don't destroy it please.

Whoa there fella... let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. No one is destroying Len's site.

Did you read the original post? Did you miss this part?

....I am sure on the caliber, also should I be spending the $4000. on this gun or go custom? or just stick with a Savage or Tikka? thanks for your time!

300-shooter asked for opinions and he got them. Anything wrong with that? I don't see one reply that is out of line with the OP's request. They are all opinions, just like you have an opinion. He can take them all for what they're worth. As for the experiences with HS staff, some had bad experiences and some had good. My experience with HS was an accurate first hand account and I dont see anything wrong or unfair in reporting it, and it doesn't fit the heading of "dis'inng" (disrespecting). if you want to share your personal experiences and opinions, please do. But please dont jump on everyone else for sharing theirs.

-Mark

Last edited:

Wow! I thought that the gentlemen giving thier opinions about Howas and Remmys, was interesting reading. Both members seemed to be pretty amicable. I didn't see any name calling, in fact one member seemed to be making fun of himself. That's about all I'm going to say about that.

As far as the OP. I would buy a factory gun such as a Savage, Remington or Weatherby, given my financial status. However, if I had a few grand to spend on a rifle, I would go for a custom job. I have never dealt with HS, so I don't know if their guns are fully custom. I will say, that I'm not a fan of package type "custom" guns. This is my own hang up. I feel that you pay too high a premium for a "custom" gun that is already made. That said, I can see the appeal of a package gun like HS is offering, it just not the way I would go. I reserve the right to change my mind when Fifty comes out with the Raptor package in left handed. I may take out a second mortgage on my house.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.