Howa Rifles

7mm STW = 7mm Shooting Times Western (STW). It's a 7mm bullet in a necked-down 8mm Remington Magnum casing. Big, long, nasty sucker. Holds a good amount of powder.

You can get some HOT ballistics with it.

sounds like it would have a short barrel life

It does. My suggestion would be to buy the Howa barreled action in a 300WM or 7RM. Both calibers will get you there for deer size game and even Elk in the right situation. If the plan is to shoot shorter ranges for hunting and longer ranges for target, then the 243, 6.5x55 (my suggestion), and .308 will do the trick.

My dad has a semi-custom Howa in 25-06. It shoots bug holes at 100yds. Never got a chance to stretch it out at the time I used it. I was to young to understand its capabilities. It has a 22" light contour factory barrel, in a bedded walnut aftermarket stock.

Tank

sounds like it would have a short barrel life
It can.....And has been known to.

Few things that will help with longer barrel life. 1) don't get it too hot by shooting several rounds repeatedly. 2) be sure to break it in properly. 3) Have more than 1 gun that you like to shoot, so you aren't constantly pushing pills through 1 weapon.

When I go to the range, I usually shoot 10 rounds out of my high-powered guns tops. But not consistantly. If I want to blast-away, I pull out the LWRC M6, and have some fun, or shoot the pistols.

It's a great caliber, as long as you treat the gun right. Granted, it's a hot caliber, so the barrels might not last as long as some guns do....But I've had mine since 2003, and it's still shooting 1-hole groups @ 100 yards, even with cheap glass on top (for now). I plan on dropping a NightForce NXS 8-32x56 with MLR reticle on it someday. gun)

What's up Tank? Been a long time? How's everything goin? Still shooting straight?

If you don't already have a Howa, you can pick up a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Weatherby caliber, and the longer box would work out better...338 RUM will avoid the mag length issue.

But just don't shoot the Weatherby...you might like it.

TC
I dont see how this makes any sence what so ever? The mag box on a Howa LA is no diffent in a 30-06 than it is in a 300wby mag?

You raise an interesting point... but Howa doesn't offer the 300 Weatherby chambering in their product line, so they don't have to accommodate it.

At the moment, I don't have a Vanguard action handy, but the mag box on a fairly recent Howa in 30-06 I have here measures exactly 3.50"...That's very generous headroom for a 30-06 or any of the standard length magnum cases, but is still too tight for the 300 Weatherby round.

There's easily enough room to stretch the Howa action to fit a longer mag box but not without opening up the mag well.

I'd have to take a closer look at the Vanguard side-by-side with this one to see how they compare dimensionally.

TC

Last edited:
I have had 2 Howas barrelled , Kreiger did the 1st one in a 243 win light sporter rifle and a local gunsmith barrelled the last one into a 22-250 ackley heavy varmint contour 28 inches for prarie dog gun and both shoot better than 1/2 moa . I put timney triggers in both guns and custom wood stock on the sporter and a Bell and Carlson Varmint on the dog gun . Since doing these i have bought a lathe and have built everything else off of rem actions , Mainly because i am still nervous about cutting metic threads yet , anyways the Howas shoot as good as the Remmys and if your hiring a gunsmith to rebarrel it anyway it didnt cost me any more to rebarrel the Howa action than a Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.