howa rifles

ann brezinski

I saw where they are going to market a rifle in 300 prc.any one ever have used one of there rifles.also I heard that weatherby vanguards are made by them.
gary b

Great value rifle. There are aftermarket stocks and triggers available. I have three. Weatherby Vanguard in .300 Weatherby and Howas in 6.5 Grendel and .308. All the same manufacturer.

I too have one Weatherby Vanguard(Howa 1500) that I put medium Palma barrel on,Marksman stock, and tuned up the factory trigger. It is 300 Weatherby and good shooting rifle. I think the Howa' s are also good to use as switch barrel rifle with their built in recoil lug.
20190830_200523.jpg

I've got an older Howa 1500 that I just had a switchlug and bartlein barrel put on. It was a good shooter in factory form, but is an absolute tack driver now.

In my useless opinion, the Howa products ought to be top-notch stuff. They are made in Japan, a nation that applies high-technology to everything they manufacture. Why buy a US-made production-run receiver machined to .001 inches when you can buy a Howa machined to .0005 inches-- and at a very attractive price? The Japanese get into the really hi-tech stuff because they love the supreme accuracy of it. American makers avoid the really hi-tech stuff because they do not want to pay the one-time cost to get into that arena. I think we can all see which is the correct way to go...

Last edited:
My series 1 vanguard in 257 weatherby shot .5-.75 moa consistently with handloads. My dads in 300 weatherby will shoot sub MOA consistently. All factory basic guns, nothing special. The 300 is a walmart special.

In my useless opinion, the Howa products ought to be top-notch stuff. They are made in Japan, a nation that applies high-technology to everything they manufacture. Why buy a US-made production-run receiver machined to .001 inches when you can buy a Howa machined to .0005 inches-- and at a very attractive price? The Japanese get into the really hi-tech stiff because they love the supreme accuracy of it. American makers avoid the really hi-tech stuff because they do not want to pay the one-time cost to get into that arena. I think we can all see which is the correct way to go...
My wife is not happy with you, because you've sold me on building another howa ;) I hate digging out my metric gears for the lathe though.... ugh

I hate digging-out my metric gears for the lathe, though....
What would be dam-ned nice is if Howa machined its receiver mouths in UNF threading for those rifles specifically destined for US sale. But as we all know, "If ifs and buts were soups and nuts, we'd all have a very merry Christmas." I'm just gratified that we can get the Howa in the US. I have an M1500 in a stainless .223Rem & dropped into a lefthanded thumbhole stock. I like the rifle and enjoy shooting it.

Attachments

• Howa M1500 in TH stock left side.JPG
    Howa M1500 in TH stock left side.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 363
  • Howa M1500 in TH stock right side.JPG
    Howa M1500 in TH stock right side.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
I'll be keeping my eyes on these pages in slobbering anticipation to see the final product. What would be triple icy-cool is to see some progress photos of it as it makes its way closer and closer toward the first trip to the range.
Just finished a 30-28 hybrid the other day. Once it's perfected, I'll get her started

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.