Howa Rifles

I found it to be perfectly helpful.....Sometimes subtlty is best.

I had a Howa 1500 Lightning .223 rifle once (many years ago).....Decided to pull the scope off and trade it, completely new & unfired. Just never felt (handled) like a quality gun to me. SO I traded it towards a nice used Browning A-Bolt 7mm RM with a BOSS & a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50 on top.

The howa is a well built rifle with an adjustable trigger. I own one and have loaded for several others and all have shot very well. I would recommend buying one of their barreled actions and ordering a stock for it and bedding it. I think you will be happy. Given a choice of a factory rifle right now between howa and remington, I would take the howa. Just fyi mine is scary accurate past 1000 yds.

Quality and design are top notch, and some of the action features are very desirable. Barrels are average as far as factory barrels go, but depending on caliber, some of the twist rates they offer are too slow for shooting the ideal long range bullets. The Weatherby Vanguard is the same basic rifle as packaged by Weatherby.

The stocks on both are throw away items, as are most entry level factory stocks, and just about every factory rifle will need to be bedded into a good quality stock for dependable results.

I'd take a look at the new Winchester Extreme Weather or Coyote for an out of the box shooter. Any of the other manufacturers mentioned will end up at the same price point once the stock is replaced.

Another consideration is that the action uses metric barrel threads, and if the rifle will end up with a custom barrel, there are more smiths who will work on the others.

TC

On my last visit to Legacy Sports yesterday, I noticed that they were touting a new trigger.
Howa2StageTrigger.png

They say on the website:
"Howa is equipping each barreled action with the new Howa Actuator Controlled Trigger (HACT) system that eliminates trigger creep and lightens trigger pull. The HACT will fit all Howa M-1500 rifles that were previously equipped with their three position safety.

The HACT trigger assembly is a completely redesigned trigger and sear unit that actually creates a two-stage trigger. This allows the shooter to take up trigger creep before squeezing through to touch off the round. The HACT trigger system allows for a lighter let-off - factory set at 3 lbs - eliminating trigger jerk, or pulling off the shot because the trigger pull is too heavy.
The other improvement that the HACT offers is in safety. Most triggers use an indirect sear lock, meaning, the safety locks the trigger and the trigger locks the sear. With lightened triggers that have been worked on after the sale, this can be dangerous because a hard bump can set off the sear, even if the safety is engaged. With the new HACT trigger, we use a direct sear lock, where a cross pin locks the sear, preventing any accidental discharges.
The HACT trigger from Howa will improve your accuracy with a crisper, cleaner and lighter trigger pull. This will give you better groups and . . . cleaner harvests!"

Does anyone have feedback on the difference in trigger quality of adjustablility ? Normally, the trend is that new triggers offer less scope for adjustment with every new generation of product.

I am confused about the whole barrel thing TOPCAT was mentioning. I want to get a 300 ultra mag so i can turn it into a .338 edge that is my goal.

I am confused about the whole barrel thing TOPCAT was mentioning. I want to get a 300 ultra mag so i can turn it into a .338 edge that is my goal.

In that case you will be changing the barrel thereby negating his concern about the slower twist barrels that Howa and most mass producers use, but he has a point about the metric threads. Many gunsmiths use older toolroom type lathes that aren't able to cut metric threads and they won't work on Howas for this reason.

ah i see so i would have to find a guy who does metric barrels okay got ya thinks very much don't know how challenging that would be.

buy a savage . much easier all the way around. you can change barrels yourself at home. the only pain in the @ss is finding a stock. savage has too many bolt patterns

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.