how to remove jammed cartridges from chamber?

drpbroun5

My shooting buddy has been only neck sizing his cases. He recently loaded one into his rifle but could not close the bolt. Now he can't get the cartridge out. I would appreciate all the recommendations any of you will share on getting it out. Thanks.
Paul

I managed to get some peculiar brass that was really goofy and had that problem.

Here is what I do.

Remove the bolt

Take some liquid wrench and pour it down the barrel.

Take a coated cleaning rod with a female tip SO IT CATCHES THE END OF THE BULLET. DO NOT LET IT SLIP TO THE SIDE. IT MUST CATCH THE BULLET TIP.

Push the bullet into the case with the cleaning rod so the liquid wrench can get into the powder and make it less sensitive to sparking in case you goof up.

Let this sit until you feel lucky.

Put the cleaning rod back down the barrel and try very hard not to screw up your crown nor to ignite the round.

Try to lightly tap the round on out. Apply more and more force as necessary. Remember your crown is at stake here. In the end you may need a hammer.

Before you try my method wait and see if some one can tell you how to do it without risking the crown.

[ QUOTE ]
My shooting buddy has been only neck sizing his cases. He recently loaded one into his rifle but could not close the bolt. Now he can't get the cartridge out. I would appreciate all the recommendations any of you will share on getting it out. Thanks. Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is the bolt "not closed". If the handle is up, or if you can remove the bold, it is easy. Just tap the round out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod and a light hammer.

If, by "not close the bolt", you mean it is almost fully closed, but not all the way, then take a lite piece of wood (2x4) and lightly tap the bolt handle up until the handle up... even if you can't withdraw the cartridge. Then use a rod and tap the round out.

If the bolt is closed, or almost closed, and you can't get the bolt handle up, then take it to a 'smith, cuz it is very dangerous in this condition.

Don't fool with it, take it to a smith. He will force the bolt or remove the barrel and tell you what happened.
db

Hell, just do what buffalobob said maybe even skipping the liquid wrench and if you have a muzzle brake and are careful when inserting the cleaning rod from the muzzle there isn't too much to worry about regarding the crown. If no brake then careful is the work.

I have felt lucky and have done this many times and have yet to have the bullet move in the case neck.

However, all mine stick because of increased case diameter just ahead of the web.

Also my "female" end is brass which helps w/the sparking problem.

No warranties are implied or expressed. No liability is assumed in regard to this post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My shooting buddy has been only neck sizing his cases. He recently loaded one into his rifle but could not close the bolt. Now he can't get the cartridge out. I would appreciate all the recommendations any of you will share on getting it out. Thanks. Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is the bolt "not closed". If the handle is up, or if you can remove the bold, it is easy. Just tap the round out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod and a light hammer.

If, by "not close the bolt", you mean it is almost fully closed, but not all the way, then take a lite piece of wood (2x4) and lightly tap the bolt handle up until the handle up... even if you can't withdraw the cartridge. Then use a rod and tap the round out.

If the bolt is closed, or almost closed, and you can't get the bolt handle up, then take it to a 'smith, cuz it is very dangerous in this condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Cathshooter,

I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM 2 HOURS AGO.
I have a jamed live ammo in my barrel, almmost full inserted (the round) - missing 2-3mm to be completed in.
I am in the same sh..t.
In my case the action is completed up, and no way to close the action.
I do also the neck resize die for my 300 Rem Ultra Mag with a preformed case.
Now I have to go to a gunsmith, because I don't want to do someting wrong.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSE OF THIS? BECAUSE I WANT TO AVOID THIS KIND OF PROBLEM FOR FURTHER TIMES.
I used a RSCB Neck Resize Die, on cases fired 1-3 times.

This is my first time, and I payed LOOOTTTS OF ATTENTION when I reload ammo, but I don't know what is the cause of this....

Any imput please!!!!!

Thanks
Cris

[ QUOTE ]
Hi CatShooter,

I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM 2 HOURS AGO.
I have a jamed live ammo in my barrel, almost full inserted (the round) - missing 2-3mm to be completed in. I am in the same sh..t.
In my case the action is completed up, and no way to close the action.
I do also the neck resize die for my 300 Rem Ultra Mag with a preformed case.
Now I have to go to a gunsmith, because I don't want to do someting wrong.
DO YOU KNOW WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSE OF THIS? BECAUSE I WANT TO AVOID THIS KIND OF PROBLEM FOR FURTHER TIMES.
I used a RSCB Neck Resize Die, on cases fired 1-3 times.

This is my first time, and I payed LOOOTTTS OF ATTENTION when I reload ammo, but I don't know what is the cause of this....

Any input please!!!!!Thanks
Cris

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the best case (no pun intended).

Since the bolt handle is UP, the pin can't drop, so the gun can't go off.

Take a cleaning rod, and put it in the barrel.

Tap lightly on the rod and the round will go back a bit, open the bolt more, and continuing to tap a few times, then pull on the bolt, tap on the rod a few times, and pull on the bolt.

This WILL get it out.

This IS what the gunsmith will do, and he will charge you $50 to do it.

You are doing something wrong - neck sizing will NOT lead to this mess if done right.

Look over your cases and loaded ammo and see if you can find out what you have done.

When the bullet comes out of the gun, look for rifling marks on the bullet... let me know what you see.

They need to take the tip off of the cleaning rod so that the end of the rod is the female end to ensure the rifling/throat area does not get damaged when the rod contacts the bullet. Up to this point the recommendations do not include this precaution. It also helps get the bullet out with the least amount of effort/force. I have an old rod that I keep for such emergencies.

James

When you guys get the cases out, measure the cases to ensure they are not too long. If so, they could be pinching the bullet in the throat area.

James

Dear Catshooter,

My pin bolt is OUT, out of the action. When I tryed to reject the action out on the field 2 ours ago, it was coming out without the round and the case.
The live round is stuck in the chamber almost all the way in the barrel.
I tryed to use my buddy action to extract my round out (the same 300rum) and his action it was stuck.
We needed almost 5 min to remove his action out, pushing and knoking with 2x4 wood, and the action it was comming without the case.

I'm nervous, and scare to try to use a cleaning rod, because I can push the round back in the case deeper.
I used remington case, with 96 gr of Ratumbo and 200gr AccuBond round.
My case is almost full, and I DON'T THINK SO IT WILL SUPPORT MORE PRESSURE from the round.
Now it is almost 8:00pm, and I have to wait till in the morning.
I leaving in the city and if someting is goin wrong I dont want the pollice to knock in my door...

About the cases, I suspect THE SIZE OF THE CASE. I DID NOT TRIM THE CASE TO THE MAXIMUM ALOWED SIZE.
But after I will take that round out I will double check the size of the case to be sure this was the problem.

Cris

Haven't seen this mentioned; sometimes full length sizing dies, when adjusted to neck size only, will allow "growth" in diameter of the case body just ahead of the web area.

You may not experience this until the cases have been neck sized/fired three or more times.

I use RCBS full length dies adjusted to just touch the shoulder of the case as it is resized. I use a FL die adjusted to each individual rifle.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.