How To Dope The Wind Beyond Belief-DVD Review

I agree with Yobuck! There isn't any gadget that can replace practice. Doping the wind with science is 100% worthless where I hunt, flat landers would probably do well with cool stuff though. Hunting box end gullys and over the top of deep ravines, knowing what the wind is doing from where I am shooting from doesn't mean a thing. The only thing a guy around here can rely on is experience!

the cliche about old dogs and new tricks is probably true.
im 76 years old. ive been being told all my life there are smarter people with better ways.
certainly that is true in many situations. medical science is but one area where that is evident. computers are another area. we could go on and on about other things positivly affecting our lives.
many things however turn out to be more beneficial for the seller than the user.
some of the products were told are important/necessary to have for long range hunting/shooting fit that mold.
its not that they dont work, as much as they arent necessary.
long range 1000 yd benchrest target shooting has its roots in a place named bodines near williamsport pa.
many world records have been set there including the current 10 shot record.
some of the shooters there are among the best in the world.
if you visit there as a spectator as i have you will see wind flags.
i doubt you will see an individual using a wind meter/weather station.
many shooters will wait till the last seconds before firing their last sighter.
when the sighter target comes down and the record target goes up things happen very quickly.
you will see most shooters machine gun all 10 shots as fast as they can get them off.
that technique hasent changed in the 40 + years ive been visiting there.
if david tubbs were to shoot there he would undoubtedly do likewise.

fact is there are no experts when it comes to dealing with wind.
especially in a hunting situation where wide deep valleys could be encountered.
put a river or large stream in the equasion and it could compound the problems.

as for cosine or uphill/downhill, weve been dealing with that successfully for decades. it is a very important item but dosent require a costly peice of equiptment.

the keys to success in long range shooting/hunting is a good rifle, a good shooter, and a good spotter with very good tripod mounted glasses.
become proficient with your rifle and listening to your spotter.
practice getting from where it hit to where its supposed to hit with the next shot in the event of a miss.
its amazing to me how much emphasis is placed on gadgets, and how little on spotters.

all those lures in the tackle shop wont make you a better fisherman.
but that dosent stop guys like bill dance from trying to sell you some.

all the shooting gadgets were being exposed to wont make any difference either.
learn to shoot and you wont need them.
Amen brother.
A good Rifle and a mastery of the fundamentals are all we really need.

I boughgt the Video as well as Shawn Carlocks 4 videos via this website a few weeks ago. I got the chance to watch them this weekend, and while I loved the quality that went into the production of the Best of the West Video, I felt the instruction was sub par. And like a lot of others commented I felt like it was a advertisement for Huskemaw.

But then again I use MIL Dots and dial in based on those calculations.

I would like to see a video, don't really care who produces it on setting up your rifle for long range shooting.

Shawns Reloading Video is excellent.

I have question that honestly is not a comment. Why is it popular to use a scope with mili radian spaceing and then crank the crosshairs for windage. adjustment

For the first 200 - 300 yards if you can use the mil dots to shoot, it is faster than dialing in.

But:
1. You have to know where your load shoots at those mil dots.
2. You have to practice with it!

Since I am an old dog, and have been shooting in conditions for decades, I was hoping that the DVD would be more than Huskemaw commercial. This video would be good for neophytes but does nothing for anyone who has already shot competitively at 1000 yards. 90 minutes of wasted time and $40 down the drain. G. Davids hand tip is about all that I learned from this video. Good advice on watching the pollen flow across a hollow, get closer.

Walkinghorseman, I looked everywhere for your name on national championship rosters but could find no walkinghorseman as winners!:) You have shot enough to know that there is no easy way to dope the wind. There s no formula that will give perfect results. The video was intended to help beginners and experts develop some knowledge of some of the things to look for while shooting in the wind. And as for being advertisement for Huskemaw, How many other scopes out there give you an accurate wind hold number right on your turret? Having the yardage and the wind hold on the turret is much quicker when shooting in changing conditions than looking at a chart and counting clicks. A young shooter could probably learn as much shooting with you as watching the video if you would take time to teach them! I would love to meet you and shoot with you someday.

Walkinghorseman, I looked everywhere for your name on national championship rosters but could find no walkinghorseman as winners!:) You have shot enough to know that there is no easy way to dope the wind. There s no formula that will give perfect results. The video was intended to help beginners and experts develop some knowledge of some of the things to look for while shooting in the wind. And as for being advertisement for Huskemaw, How many other scopes out there give you an accurate wind hold number right on your turret? Having the yardage and the wind hold on the turret is much quicker when shooting in changing conditions than looking at a chart and counting clicks. A young shooter could probably learn as much shooting with you as watching the video if you would take time to teach them! I would love to meet you and shoot with you someday.

Phil, thanks for the response. You are right, you won't find me as a registered competitor. Several years I acquired a rifle capable of being competitive and started shooting F-Class casually in NH at 600 yards and last year here in NE at 1000. I'm in the twilight of my shooting career and at a point where I have the time to spend developing advanced skills. I will be the first to say that there is no substitute for trigger time. I have a Windtronics and use range flags and have shot on a number of different ranges over the years. Each range and each day is different. I have a 100 yard range at home. Putting an accurate 22 LR on the bags is as good a training tool as any. I shot 1000 yard F-Class a couple weeks ago in a 3x20 match. During my third relay, there was a letup where the entire line went dead for 7-8 minutes. AND THEN, conditions switched. The guys that do well on this range, and any other range, are the ones that shoot it a lot. What is David reading when this happens? How does he adjust?

Instead of the historic pre-amble by Phil, I would have thought that there would have been some discussion of how much wind starts to move the grass and turn the leaves. How much raises dust, how much sways the bushes and the trees. At what level does it become audible. What are the key indicators that he uses? How do you evaluate intermediate conditions between the line and the target for worth? Being an 11 time World Hi-Power champ, David certainly has a lot of knowledge and tricks in his range cart. Based on the title of the video, I fully expected more.

Maybe I have some attention deficit and missed something. Or maybe I fell asleep during Phils off topic dissertation. I felt that the video had too much filler and not enough subject matter. It could have been a half hour in stead of 90 minutes and cost $15.

Over the years, I shot in a lot of club matches for score against shooters who do compete. One thing that I have observed is that people who compete do not willingly coach or help. Maybe what I have learned here is that the only way to get this is through a school and trigger time. One of the limiting factors in developing long range skills is range access. We don't all have a range just around the corner.

Sorry for ruffling your feathers. I'm not saying that your product is bogus, you could have spoken to the principles without the marketing spin.

If you don't mind, I would like to email you personally.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.