How to beat the 338 Lapua?

Ha ha, ok your off the hook. Yes we need to shoot. Maybe in the spring? Things are about to get busy here and I plan to be dragging elk and washing knives for the next month then go after some lions.:)

Jeff

If you want to "out Shoot" a 338 Lapua at 2000 yards. Other than shooter skill the only way the rifle will make it easier is with a higher BC bullet at the same or more velocity. Assuming they are shooting the 300 Berger then you will need to do it with more velocity. That means you will need a bigger case such as the 338 Lapua AI , 338 Snipe Tac , or one of the variations off the 338-378 Wby Case. Or Talk to Defensive Edge about a 338 EDGE +P or 338 Terminator +P . Or, you could venture into the world of the 375's, or larger.

But looking for a "smaller, less expensive," caliber to out shoot a 338 Lapua , it ain't going to happen unless you live in a world of make believe. At 2000 yards BC and retained velocity along with less drift will rule as far as caliber capabilities go. But again shooter skill will be a big plus with any rifle.

Jeff

This is correct. When it comes to elite long range nothing is cheap to shoot. It takes a great shooter with great equipment.

We have ran the Lapua to 3000 feet with a 300 grain Berger with no pressure., I have ran the 300 Berger to 3080 in my Improved with no pressure. I believe I could have easily gotten more because I was gaining a lot yet per grain but was already above what I could shoot the Elite at and I had no pressure. I just haven't seen those numbers in the 338 Norma case. Matt

Matt, what length barrel are you running with the 338 lapua you get 3k with a 300grn bullet. This is probably the biggest difference with the norma, most guys are running a barrel that is 26in or shorter.
Xdeano

I have seen this even out of a factory Savage. The one that looks like a modular one. I don't know the model numbers of Savages. Most of our guns are 30 inch barrels like our comp guns. My Improved is 36 but I believe I could reach 3125 t0 3175 because I had absolute no pressure at 3070 and was gaining 50 feet per second per grain of powder. I could put the case back in the gun and the bolt fell shut on a fired case with the fire control out. That means zero pressure. Matt

I can see how youre getting the extra velocity then if youre running that long of a tube. I wonder what a 338 norma would run with a 30 + inch tube. Hummm. Probably in those same ranges. Not saying one is better then the other, just given apple to apples they are a horse a piece.
Xdeano

My buddy Dan built a 30 cal in one and he couldn't get the velocity without pressure. All of our guns are usually 30 plus. You only gain a little and the longer they are the less per inch you gain. I just wanted the 36 inch because it is my hunting gun and when it is cold out I wanted to make sure I could burn the slower powders. Most guns you are talking 30 feet per inch. So from a 28 to 30 you are talking 60 feet. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.