338 Lapua AI or Something off the Rum case

Thanks for the advice toddc. He has built himself a straight up lupua on a stiller tac action. Think it has a 30 inch Bart barrel McMillan a5 adjustable stock jewel trigger. Looks like a nice build claims it shoots great with 300 Berger. We never really talk about reamer specs or a big 338 build. I just got bit by the bug and I want a 338 to take my lr shooting to the next level.

I can get rem 700 action pretty cheap and I know that will keep me to the edge. Sounds like brass has come around for it. But I know Lapua brass is outstanding. I've never had improved anything before. I just want to get all the parts in order and just bring it down and hope it will help with lead time.
What are you wanting to do with it? Kill rocks, critters, paper?

Mostly a hunting rifle. I go to the woods a lot and I do a lot of rock shooting also when it's not hunting season or if it's slow I might set up a shot on a rock and continue hunting. Right now I have a stock rem 700 lr in 300 win. Did load development with 210 Berger shoots half moa out to 1000 if I do my part Holland brake jewel trigger and a vortex hst tell I get the scope I want but sounds like it's gonna sit like that cause I want a 338 lol. Gonna switch to the 215 but being at sea level and guessing that I won't get over 2900 fps says I'm gonna lose couple percent in bc and wondering how stable they will be further down range. Just not a lot of stank left for the long pokes and Ive had a few different chances at some long shots on bear and deer but passed on the bears cause I was concerned about the energy and fps left at 1000 yards and the condition weren't the greatest. The deer just got into the thick stuff.

Just know that a 338 is going to be A LOT bigger than that 300 almost by necessity.
You said "WOODS". In my mind that means some close range stuff. Most 338s aren't OFFHAND guns. Yeah it can be done but that is in itself a compromise.
If you want to build a 338, spec the weight and barrel length 1st and back into how to build it.
338s can get REAL BIG and HEAVY, they need the tube length to run well and running 300gr barrel whip will be an issue without enough contour. My 338s all weigh in the 20lb range and I love them for having 0 recoil and smashing long range power but they aren't carry rigs.
Figure out the absolute heaviest longest package you want to carry hunting and see where you end up.

Coast of oregon has the best of both worlds. Can be down in a big old timber patch or get on a ridge and glass cuts for days if your in the right spot. I figure my win is weighs in at 12lbs and I can pack it all day. But this is gonna be a straight up lr build. Was thinking somewhere around 16 lbs cause I have plans for Idaho in the future.

Build specs so far that I have in my head are either rem 700 action for edge or a stiller or defiance action for a lapua. Broughton 30 tube 7.75 hvy varmint might flute might not. Wyatt's extended box if I do the edge. Haven't look into the other to action yet. McMillan stock probably Harris bi-pod hopefully night force scope brake up in the air really. I like what Holland brake did to my win mag. Jewel trigger night force 20 moa rail and have them throated for the 300 Berger's. If I missed something or if you have any opinions on what you would do or might work better I'd love to hear them thank you

I have a 338 Lapua A I and it is awesome.
I use Retumbo and I'm getting 2990 feet per second with 300 Match Kings.
Never tried RL 33 .
It's a Stiller action and Manners stock.
The barrel is 29" Broughton heavy and fluted with Badger brake.
Not sure how much the rifle weighs haven't shot it in a while.
I've shot many 3 shot groups at 565yds 1.5"or less.
For a big gun it's a serious tack driver.

Some of the velocities and case life comments are at odds with what I'm familiar with.
But that dosent alter the fact that the Edge is a good choice for a long range cartridge.

Just to clarify my comments, when I was pressure testing RL33 in my edge IMP. A very faint ejector mark showed at 3013fps with 107gr not 112gr as I stated earlier and my COAL is 4.105 not 4.120. I tried to edit my post at the time but the site would not let me.

I achieve good brass life by running H-1000 at lower pressures 2785fps.

And for anyone interested I was able to pressure test n570 yesterday with 300 otms
30" brux
Rem brass

101grs. 2930 fps
102. 2980
103. 3008 primer flattening
104. 3024 primer flattening, very faint ejector mark
105. 3075 primer flattened, faint ejector mark, light bolt restistance

I didn't actually feel powder crunching but 103-105gr loads powder was getting pushed down into the case when seating the bullet. I had to tap the cases to get the powder to settle further down in the case before seating. One shot each and I was using a magneto speed.

Last edited:
Coast of oregon has the best of both worlds. Can be down in a big old timber patch or get on a ridge and glass cuts for days if your in the right spot. I figure my win is weighs in at 12lbs and I can pack it all day. But this is gonna be a straight up lr build. Was thinking somewhere around 16 lbs cause I have plans for Idaho in the future.

Build specs so far that I have in my head are either rem 700 action for edge or a stiller or defiance action for a lapua. Broughton 30 tube 7.75 hvy varmint might flute might not. Wyatt's extended box if I do the edge. Haven't look into the other to action yet. McMillan stock probably Harris bi-pod hopefully night force scope brake up in the air really. I like what Holland brake did to my win mag. Jewel trigger night force 20 moa rail and have them throated for the 300 Berger's. If I missed something or if you have any opinions on what you would do or might work better I'd love to hear them thank you
You're on the right track then. The Edge will be cheaper due to action cost. Get a great brake you will be glad you did. You could even build the Edge on a Stiller with a Remage barrel and have a no gunsmith rig for less than a smith built Rem 700.

Wow rockz that's impressive. What shoulder angle did u go with on your build and what's coal? Very nice shooting too.

Toddc thanks for your help.

It's a 40 degree ackley. I'll have to check the coal .
I'll let you know Fri.
Thanks.

Hi there , I was looking to buy a cadex 338 lapua . Just wondering if any body has review on this gun . Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.