338 edge or lapua ?

skinny pedal

ok guys i am going to have a new LR rifle built. i am going to do a 338 and i am wanting some input on whether to build a lapua or an edge ???? i am going to be using a defiance action and not sure what barell yet. should i go with improved design or not ? i do reload and i have a 6.3x284 and 7mm stw i use for long range so this isnt my first build. any input would be appreciated.
thank
casey

If your going threw the expense of a lapua I would do an improved. Something along the lines of Kirby Allens improved version that still allows factory ammo to be shot accurately. No special fire forming just shoot. Both have virtually the same ballistics so just up to your personal preference. I really like the extremely strong lapua brass so I picked the lapua route. Both are excellent choices, you can't go wrong either way.

If your going threw the expense of a lapua I would do an improved. Something along the lines of Kirby Allens improved version that still allows factory ammo to be shot accurately. No special fire forming just shoot. Both have virtually the same ballistics so just up to your personal preference. I really like the extremely strong lapua brass so I picked the lapua route. Both are excellent choices, you can't go wrong either way.

thanks for the input. can you tell me what Kirby's improved version is ? I am going to be putting a wad of cash into this project and I just want to make it correct from the get go.
thanks.
casey

If you're going with a custom action anyway, definitely go with a Lapua. 300 RUM brass is next to impossible to find right now, because of so many people building Edges. I'm running into that problem now. The reason I built an Edge was because I could build in on a factory magnum action.

I second that I'm shooting an edge and love it but to find Remington brass is all most impossible.I'm about to buy ammo and pull the bullets before long.

If performance key I would look into DE LRMK 338 + p or the 338 AX Allen. If no fire form the 338 ultra, Lapua,Norma all get the job done with similar results

A standard Lapua is pretty awesome when you get a 29-30" barrel. A Lapua Improved is even more awesome if you don't mind fireforming brass and buying custom dies. The 338-378 is also pretty sweet although most people tend to favor the Lapua brass. I've yet to find this out for myself, but I've heard from others that if you don't load it super hot the brass will still last 10 firings or more in the Weatherby. But then again, die selection is pretty limited in that caliber as well. You're stuck with plain Jane dies or having some built. Whichever route you take it's gonna cost you a few extra Hunnies to go bigger than a standard Lapua.

Its not cheap doing any of the .338's so with that in mind I went with the Lapua so I could use the lapua brass and a 30" tube so I could shoot 2900fps with the 300gr SMK's but I don't think I need more than that due to I cant shoot a mile near me . I have a place that comes close but seeing a mile and shooting it requires a lot more than what I'm confident with. At 1000 yards or a little less its a chip shot....what fun !

i met with the builder last night ( H&H Precision ) and decided on a 338 lapua with a defiance action a benchmark 28'' barrel and an XLR element chassis rifle basix trigger and a accuracy international mag. and i cant remember which muzzle brake but as long as its effective i dont care.
i cant wait. it should be done in about 3 months.

i met with the builder last night ( H&H Precision ) and decided on a 338 lapua with a defiance action a benchmark 28'' barrel and an XLR element chassis rifle basix trigger and a accuracy international mag. and i cant remember which muzzle brake but as long as its effective i dont care.
i cant wait. it should be done in about 3 months.

Sounds great, what contour barrel an twist for what bullet you gonna shoot ?

9.5 twist heavy varmint @30" for 300gr. smk's works really well, seems to help with velocity too.

If I was starting from scratch and having a full custom rifle built I would most likely go with the 338 Lapua improved. If I was doing a cheaper (budget) semi-custom rifle I would do the 338 Edge and load it with Reloader 33. Reloader 33 levels the playing feild and will do in the 338 edge what the Lapua improved or the 338 plus P Edges are doing or very close when loading with H1000. My Edge with 30 inch barrel shoots at 3008 fps. I have shot it at 3050 but backed it down to save on brass life...All the 338 's that people have talked about in the prior posts will do what you are seeking... I guess it all comes down to you picking your poison... jmo Dave

Seems to me many guys are building Edge or Lapua improved type more powerful shooting rifles yet I haven't seen much about the really big magnums like the .338 Allen Magnum and Hulk based on the cheytac .408/ Gibbs .505 lately. Is it mainly because of weight of actions there is an attempt to get more speed out of the smaller actions and not going to the .338 AM, apart from cost of brass and barrel life? Just curious since I m expecting soon to have the bigger magnum.

From what Ive experianced hunting it is rare that I am in that extreme range. And I believe I will at one point take game in the 1200-1500 with my Norma. Which I dont think is stretching it when guys are doing it at 1000 with a 6.5.I have a practice play gun, built more to shoot n have fun but its starting to catch up with my hunting rifle for game down.

Sounds great, what contour barrel an twist for what bullet you gonna shoot ?

9.5 twist heavy varmint @30" for 300gr. smk's works really well, seems to help with velocity too.

a 9.5 in heavy varmint select match barrel. I stayed with the 28'' plus the brake, I still would like to pack it when needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.