338 Lapua barrel

I have done tow .338 lapua improved. One 26" one 34". Pick any of the top barrels you will be fine. As stated above if going the new route look at the improved. Gain some speed and use the barrel break in time to fireform. That way the barrel is broke in and you can not do load work the first time.
Able to push the 300gr laser to 3100fps with the 34" tube. Best brake I've tired is the salmon River solutions slab brake. In works so good I use a small .30 cal version drilled out to work with .338 for a more compact look. Followed by the painkiller from Kirby allen. Have several of both and they are both great

I like Shawn and DE, but sometimes having my head next such a big cartridge scares me. Although I probably should go to his site and peruse. I have a 26" barrel now and I'm still working into the 1000-1500m range, not sure Lapua is really for anything much longer. 2500 not skilled yet enough and probably would move up 50 BMG if I develop the skill to go that far. My thought is I'm at 26" but if I went to 32" and didn't gain more speed I could it cut back to 30". 32" is long looking! I am going to look at that Fat Bastard break. 338improved, I've heard brass life is a lot better and maybe 30" improved is max out for Lapua? I guess I'm looking for optimum length and 26" isn't it? 30" does sound like max I also wonder if 26" improved is = to 30" Lapua? Either way I'm really mostly in the process of getting a new barrel/break right now.
I run a 338 LM improved from Lane Precision Rifles. I have a 30" barrel with a Muscle break. My best groups were sending the 300gr Berger hunting bullets at 3150. It's a Bartlein 1:9 barrel. I was running RL-33 and really ran into barrel build up and pressure. I'm converting to a 28" proof and I'll be running N570 to see if that'll clean things up a bit. I think the 338 LM improved is an amazing cartridge if you are trying to avoid the real big boys.

I run a 338 LM improved from Lane Precision Rifles. I have a 30" barrel with a Muscle break. My best groups were sending the 300gr Berger hunting bullets at 3150. It's a Bartlein 1:9 barrel. I was running RL-33 and really ran into barrel build up and pressure. I'm converting to a 28" proof and I'll be running N570 to see if that'll clean things up a bit. I think the 338 LM improved is an amazing cartridge if you are trying to avoid the real big boys.
Fat finger. 3050 FPS, not 3150.

Doesn't surprise me hearing 3150 from a 338 LM Imp from a 30" barrel. Those are crazy fast velocities from that cartridge. RL33 runs great around 104-105 in my 338 LM Imp. Tried N570 but didn't get any better results worth sticking with it. Never know, it may be your huckleberry. Many find it's better than 33. Love to get 3150 without pressure signs. Mine show up around 3060.

Fat finger. 3050 FPS, not 3150.
Doesn't surprise me hearing 3150 from a 338 LM Imp from a 30" barrel. Those are crazy fast velocities from that cartridge. RL33 runs great around 104-105 in my 338 LM Imp. Tried N570 but didn't get any better results worth sticking with it. Never know, it may be your huckleberry. Many find it's better than 33. Love to get 3150 without pressure signs. Mine show up around 3060.
Good post, please update, I haven't ordered a barrel or reamer yet. I sold 1 338m Lapua, have 3 new ones, going to sell 2 of them and develop off the one I'm going to keep. Ordered a new stock and trigger and now it's barrel, reamer and break. I have a feeling that around 2950-3000 is the sweet spot I'll focus on. The improved seems like it will help and extend brass life as well. Is a 9.3 twist right for 30" improved?

Good post, please update, I haven't ordered a barrel or reamer yet. I sold 1 338m Lapua, have 3 new ones, going to sell 2 of them and develop off the one I'm going to keep. Ordered a new stock and trigger and now it's barrel, reamer and break. I have a feeling that around 2950-3000 is the sweet spot I'll focus on. The improved seems like it will help and extend brass life as well. Is a 9.3 twist right for 30" improved?
You'll find that IS the sweet spot in the improved cartridge with a few exceptions.

WHy not the 33XC over the Lapua ai set it up on a single shot. I built a 30"+brake prc. It is in a folding chassis so I can use a conventional-sized bigger case. Transporting it is something else to consider. In my regular cab pick up unfolded would have to ride in the bed. Where I live you cannot have a firearm in the window of your vehicle and I would have to have it in such a way.

This isn't an AI, it's a custom improved. It is a single shot Defiance action. I came up with some improved specs I wanted and Lane already had Reamers that are 1/2 degree different shoulder than I wanted, so I just went with his. I have the same case and shoulder improvements in the 338 LM and the 300 Norma Mag. I call both of them "IFR", but you can get them as "reaper" I believe. When it comes to the whole host of "improved" I honestly don't think it matters enough to worry about. This 338 IFR will reach out way beyond my capabilities! I'm trying to update this thread when I convert to N570 and the 28" barrel. (My old RL33 load was just over the range you said)

Friend of mine runs 338 lai,he shot a world record with it in 2000 yrd bench in 2019. I have no problem sending 300 OTMS out of either of my 26 '' 338 NM at 2750. Mine are hunting type rifles.

Hes been on forum since 2009, Id guess he'd have a idea of where he wants to start.If i had it to do again,I have 2-338NM.I got one for a deal.Id go 338 LAI in a LRMK form,bull pup from DE,to get the longer barrel and have a real long range hammer.
Could you please explain the LRMK bull pup from DE?
I'm new on this forum and have never heard of it, bullpups have my interest since I'm pretty much shooting solely with suppressors now

Look up Defensive Edge,he was long time shooter,smith on here.Won lot of swat type shoots in Idaho.Dont recall,but think its the LRMK,look up on his site.Hes been turning out long range rifles for years.Has all kinds of info on this site also,LR shooting clinics,etc.

I like Shawn and DE, but sometimes having my head next such a big cartridge scares me. Although I probably should go to his site and peruse. I have a 26" barrel now and I'm still working into the 1000-1500m range, not sure Lapua is really for anything much longer. 2500 not skilled yet enough and probably would move up 50 BMG if I develop the skill to go that far. My thought is I'm at 26" but if I went to 32" and didn't gain more speed I could it cut back to 30". 32" is long looking! I am going to look at that Fat Bastard break. 338improved, I've heard brass life is a lot better and maybe 30" improved is max out for Lapua? I guess I'm looking for optimum length and 26" isn't it? 30" does sound like max I also wonder if 26" improved is = to 30" Lapua? Either way I'm really mostly in the process of getting a new barrel/break right now.
Split the difference and go 28 plus brake...I like mine......ALOT! And if needed you can remove the brake to accommodate any long gun rifle case!

Recent Posts