How ofter do u uniform primer pockets.

It is possible to gage the 'dent' in the primer itself, however it takes some doing..... You need to take a small (1/16" or less) diameter ground ball and mike it to be sure of the od.

Measure a like unfired primer for it's overall (height dimension).

Place the ball in the 'dent' and measure the combined height dimension and subtract the height dimension of the primer and subtract the dimension of the ball. What's left is the depth of the 'dent'.

A bit involved but it will give you the depth of the dent.
I've heard this before. Never worked. And it varies with firing pin strength. Popping a primed case without bullet and powder results in a deeper dent than a live round with normal pressures.

Get a gage to measure primer protrusion, then measure it with a micrometer or caliper. For near full shrouded bolt faces (Rem 7XX and post '64 push feed Win. 70, for example) use a depth micrometer/caliper with the bolt removed.

Or, with a brass rod equal to barrel length, use a depth micrometer/caliper to measure firing pin protrusion from the bolt face.

I use a cheap lee primer seating hand tool, if this continues on with the cases ,after I pull bullets and reload them ,ill take my rifle to a smith, . And have him check primer protrusion., also thinking about ordering a heavier firing pin spring. Ill keep u guys informed on how it works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.