How much to rebarrel my rifle

The Duke007

I have a 270 Weatherby Magnum from rifles inc very lightweight. I am looking to switch the barrel and maybe change to a 280 ackley improved, Just want to get some opinions and pricing. Thanks

I have a 270 Weatherby Magnum from rifles inc very lightweight. I am looking to switch the barrel and maybe change to a 280 ackley improved, Just want to get some opinions and pricing. Thanks

Cost will vary on gunsmith fee and components. My gunsmith charged me $250 to remove old barrel, square action, chamber, thread, and crown a Lilja barrel ($370) on my .270 AI.

IIWY, I'd stay with .270 WBTY with 1:8" 26" barrel and propel 165 Matrix VLDs or 170 Berger VLDs.

Good luck!

Last edited:

The 270 Weatherby has a bolt face diameter of .540, The 280 AI has a bolt face diameter of .470, so the bolt face would have to be bushed or the bolt would have to be replaced, and a new extractor would have to be installed. This would add to the cost of the re barrel.

Price will vary depending on the amount of work and the smith.

J E CUSTOM

The Bolt Face difference as J.E Custom stated. Plus the Magazine Lips may be cut to wide for the 280 AI Cartridge. Re-barreling to another Magnum cartridge would be a cheaper easier way to go. Its your choice, Good Luck in this project.

Your 270 Wby can do anything a 280 can do except have a larger diameter bullet.... ;)

Really, it would be more cost effective to either keep it as is or buy/build a 280. The added cost of changing the bolt face to .470 is so much that it offsets any other costs.

Plus, who doesn't want another gun!?

The cost break down should go something like this:
Change bolt or buy a new bolt: $300
Remove old barrel, thread and chamber: $250

So MINIMUM of about $550 without the cost of the new barrel which will be $450 ish so total will be $1,000 range.

Buy a new 280 $800 to as much as you want to spend.

However, if you are truly done with 270 Wby chambering, have it changed to a 280.

I think the most cost effective would be to sell the 270 Wby and buy a 280.

Cost will vary on gunsmith fee and components. My gunsmith charged me $250 to remove old barrel, square action, chamber, thread, and crown a Lilja barrel ($370).

IIWY, I'd stay with .270 WBTY with 1:8" 26" barrel and propel 165 Matrix VLDs or 170 Berger VLDs.

Good luck!
$250 that's dirt cheap compared to what I'm getting quoted.
Over $1100 to chamber, install proof barrel & muzzle brake, says it needs new recoil lug, and the HS Precision stock that he has already bedded completely re-done. (Been told by others that this is unnecessary)

$250 that's dirt cheap compared to what I'm getting quoted.
Over $1100 to chamber, install proof barrel & muzzle brake, says it needs new recoil lug, and the HS Precision stock that he has already bedded completely re-done. (Been told by others that this is unnecessary)

:eek:UCH! Threading the muzzle + muzzle brake is $225 and glass bedding was $50.