How to determine how much torque on barrel?

frostop

I have a rifle that the barrel has come loose on and rather than just taking it to smith I am considering getting the stuff to do it myself.

Question is how does a guy determine just How Much Torque your putting on the action wrench?

Gary

What kind of action do you have and what kind wrench are you using/going to use?

It's a Ruger M77 MkII short action.

I haven't purchased an action wrench yet, but looking at the wheeler wrench #2, I think that it will work.

I put a call into Surgeon since they have and action wrench that bares on the bolt lug race way that has a place for a Half Inch torque wrench. The guy there is checking to see if it will work with a Ruger?

Gary

Well the Surgeon wrench will not work on the Ruger. So I am back at sqare one?
I called Wheeler and they told me that there #1 wrench "Should" work.

So the question still stands, how does one determine the torque?

Gary

Well the Surgeon wrench will not work on the Ruger. So I am back at sqare one?
I called Wheeler and they told me that there #1 wrench "Should" work.

So the question still stands, how does one determine the torque?

Gary

Make sure whatever wrench that you use the wrench through the loading port on the lugs at the front of the action, and not at the back. You can bend and crack actions by torquing them from the back of the action.

Last edited:
Longrang3r,

Thank you for that very good advise.

I have watched a couple of video's online, and that is what I saw as well. That's the strongest part of the entire action.

Gary

I just use a rear entry wrench on everything and torque 85 ft lbs, if it came loose and then you crank it down you'll want to recheck your head spacing.

Where can I find one of those rear entry wrenches?

I have checked brownell's and midway and can't seem find them.

Gary

We built our own out of tool steel when needed but it blows a whole day to make one. In the future I will be having Paul Bike make them for me if he is still making them. Here is an email I found for him. [email protected] He shows one on his YouTube channel.

I like my barrels torqued up to a minimum of 100 foot pounds.

We built our own out of tool steel when needed but it blows a whole day to make one. In the future I will be having Paul Bike make them for me if he is still making them. Here is an email I found for him. [email protected] He shows one on his YouTube channel.

I like my barrels torqued up to a minimum of 100 foot pounds.
I have not been able to reach Paul for along time.

Brownells barrel wrench setup is what I have used on most actions / barrels, removed some insanely tight barrels with it, kinda costly for one job though.

I called wheeler and they told me that their #1 wrench would work.
I did get one but haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it should work, will just have to protect the top of the action with a couple layers of cardboard or something, just has a v-notch in that portion of the wrench.

Gary

if you have no brass shim stock, i have used cardboard (cereal box) duct tape / masking tape with the brownell action wrench / barrel vise (i think its a heavier made unit than the wheeler piece.

its hard to machine 1.5 thick hunks of steel, drill the holes etc etc at a shop for what you can buy the stuff for, at least I cant see making wage making your own pieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.