How much difference can a trigger make?

The custom trigger makes the huge difference. It is a bit off-topic but still related to the custom trigger.

I'm a target pistol shooter, "Free Pistol". Shoot .22 at 50 meters. My trigger is about 1/2 ounce or less. You do not want to apply the trigger a bit too long or you will miss the "X" ring. When my aim is almost perfect to 10 ring, I just touch the trigger slightly and it goes off.

I feel that when you set up the heavy pull, it takes time to pull before it goes off. I just like to touch it and it goes off immediately.

I guess if I were to analyze my shooting to explain it, I would say that one some of my "not so good shots" it seems as if the added time and energy on the pull causes me to lose the good sight picture I may have had for one, or all the added pulling seems to put tension in the rifle itself and is limiting it's ability to be solid to some extent.

I don't have any intention to shoot a trigger at single digit ounces for hunting, but I think that a 1.5lb trigger would be plenty acceptable, and if it got to the point where I was comfortable, I would maybe creep a few ounces lower, but never below a pound by any means.

I come from growing up flushing deer out of sloughs and tree belts and shooting deer on the run. Trigger pull was never much of an issue. Most people there don't recommend a trigger below 3.5-4#.

What I am learning since hunting more out west is that shooting deer on the run is less important, and being able to shoot long is more important. You can actually have a set up shot and make a good shot, not just a half luck/half skill shot on the run.

For this reason, I am really enjoying the process of getting better. But with that said, I have to get my equipment set up for it. I would probably not use my Sendero for the same applications I used to hunt in. Plus I still have my ole trust 270win BDL for that. hahahaha

FYI I sent my Sendero trigger away to be professionally tuned for half the price of a Timney. It came out so nice that I sent the smith a few more. I also own Timney triggers on a couple of my Wby Vanguard rifles, and the tuned Remington trigger is nicer, in my opinion.

So, don't think you have to pay a lot of money just to get a nice trigger.

FYI I sent my Sendero trigger away to be professionally tuned for half the price of a Timney. It came out so nice that I sent the smith a few more. I also own Timney triggers on a couple of my Wby Vanguard rifles, and the tuned Remington trigger is nicer, in my opinion.

So, don't think you have to pay a lot of money just to get a nice trigger.

I agree, my 22-250 (it's an old savage) has a factory adjustable trigger, I could never get it quite right till I polished the mating surfaces on porcelin stone. Makes you smile when you touch her off now. gun)

Maybe I'm off base on this but my experience is that given a particular trigger, if I can shoot a .25-.5 MOA group, or consistantly hit an equivalently sized target with individual consecutive shots at 100 or 200 hundred yards, I will maintain the accuracy and precision at 1000 yards. The angle is constant and a lighter trigger should technically not influence the specific change in distance. IMHO.
Not off base at all. For killing game even 1.5-2moa is adequate to 500yds, the average shooter isn't going to even notice the difference the trigger makes at short ranges because they don't need to do any better.

In the long range game where we are fighting to keep 1moa or better out to 1,000yds, the trigger can easily make a .5moa difference or more which is the difference between a clean kill, a clean miss or a half day or more of tracking.

on the surface you'd think so, but the farther out you go the more the environment and other factors come into play, which reduces your hit probability. Bryan illustrates this very well in his 2nd book. One thing I think that gets over looked some times is that the concentration needed for a heavy trigger at 100yrds, interferes with paying attention to other influences down range. I believe a light well tuned trigger allows for muscle memory to work much more efficiently, and consequently frees up concentration for other factors, and also helps to reduce mental drain.
Very true. Plus with a well tuned, clean breaking light trigger you don't think about the trigger at all in the equation and don't have to worry about trying to time the break to coincide with the perfect presentation.

You just scratch it right off of the list of things to be considered in the equation at all and simply rely on muscle memory when it all comes together.

Also makes sense............which would explain why one would not notice as many accuracy issues at close range as you would at long range.

By the time I get done upgrading my Sendero I should have just bought a custom or had one built. hahahaha
All I did with my Sendero triggers was get the pull weight and OT set where I liked it and worked the hell out of them bathed in lapping compound. That way you hone all the edges using their own wear points as part of the process saving you many hours of honing individual pieces on a stone to get them baby smooth. Start with heavy grit like 400 or 600 and move to 1000 or 1200gr. Great way to kill time watching TV LOLgun)

Even my gunsmith was impressed with the results and he's picky as hell about triggers.

I bought a used CZ 204 last month from a guy on gunbrokers. It has a custom barrel and Basiz trigger on it... which is set at 8 oz. I took it and my two savages, with accutriggers to KS for coyotes. I started out with the savages and shot a few and missed a few... blaming it on the triggers, because of aiming hard at 300 yd dogs that were facing me, while trying to pull through on those triggers. Thought I'd try out the CZ... missed the first dog because I forgot about the hair trigger... touched it before getting onto target.... BUT... after that...... I NEVER MISSED ANOTHER DOG... even 300 yd facing dogs.
It wasn't the rifle, nor the caliber that made a difference in my accuracy... IT WAS THE LIGHT TRIGGER.

Those accutriggers are going in the trash... or ebay. I ended up buying two ShootersSupply.com triggers for these savages .... two to my door for 187.50... can't beat that price... and they adjust to 12 oz to 2lbs.
Honestly I can't imagine why anyone would want to change from the original factory single set trigger on those models. That is the best trigger I've ever fingered period once you get them broken in and honed.

Not off base at all. For killing game even 1.5-2moa is adequate to 500yds, the average shooter isn't going to even notice the difference the trigger makes at short ranges because they don't need to do any better.

In the long range game where we are fighting to keep 1moa or better out to 1,000yds, the trigger can easily make a .5moa difference or more which is the difference between a clean kill, a clean miss or a half day or more of tracking.

I buy that rational completely. Thanks. At an early age I was taught a shooting style of mentally connecting a ramp in visual intensity on the crosshair or bead (not the target) with the increasing pressure to break the trigger. In time this happens almost subconsciously and quickly. As long as the trigger breaks clean, and overtravel is properly adjusted, I can hold sub .5 MOA with triggers under 3.5#. If I use a trigger that is set too much under 2# my brain doesn't seem to connect the two functions. I can still shoot well with a light trigger but it actually takes me more time and concentration. I guess after 40 years, old habits are hard to break.

I iknow what you are saying about breaking old habits. That is one reason I have never been a huge fan of a 2 stage trigger myself. I just can't seem to get the feeling of taking the slack out before the shot. It just seems to me it is one more thing to think about. I want to just put my finger on the trigger and shoot.

Anyone had any experience on a set trigger. That concept interests me. The way I understand it, you click the trigger forward and now you have a really light pull weight and crisp trigger for precision needs. Or you leave as is and normal shooting at say shorter distance and to speed things up a bit a heavier pull which is safer, say 3lbs. I guess that's what I think they are, but I really don't know.

Anyone had any experience on a set trigger. That concept interests me. The way I understand it, you click the trigger forward and now you have a really light pull weight and crisp trigger for precision needs. Or you leave as is and normal shooting at say shorter distance and to speed things up a bit a heavier pull which is safer, say 3lbs. I guess that's what I think they are, but I really don't know.

I can't say I've heard of them but I am a beginner at this whole thing so maybe some of the other contributors to this thread will be able to chime in and help you out more.

The set trigger on the CZ 223 American gives a whole new meaning to the word SWEET!! In normal mode its a great trigger that breaks clean but pushing the trigger forward makes for a super trigger. All that is nessisary is to think pull and it goes off in set mode.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.