How much difference can a trigger make?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by mrb1982, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 Well-Known Member

I shoot a standard X-mark Pro trigger from Remington right now. It is a descent factory trigger, no complaints. I can only get it down to between 3 and 3.25lb though right now. I am thinking about a Jewell but am wondering if going to a higher quality trigger really makes that much difference in accuracy? I am shooting a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero and I use purely for hunting if that makes a difference. Thanks.

2. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Well-Known Member

All the difference in the world. The jewell trigger is as good as it gets

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I think this is a great question. Like everything else with our sport, personal preference varies. I have used a wide range of different triggers, both stock, and high quality aftermarket types like the Jewel etc. Due to the cold weather conditions my hunting triggers range from 2.5-3.5 pounds. This weight range has never effected my ability to achieve the same accuracy as I could with lighter weights and, or aftermarket designs given the break and overtravel is tuned properly. The Jewel is a nice trigger, but I have several rifles with factory triggers either out of the box, or tuned that feel just as good to me, some better. In the end though, it's a hard question to answer. Perhaps trying a rifle out with a Jewel would help you see if you can feel a difference.

4. mrb1982

I kinda feel that if I could get the poundage down a little lower, perhaps the 1.5-2# range it would be beneficial to my shooting. Seems like it would be easier to have trigger control if you had less to pull on but I have no evidence to back that up.

As far as hunting purposes go, this rifle is strictly a set up prone bipoded rifle so taking snap shots or anything like that is not a concern. Therefore, I'm not really too concerned about having a lighter trigger on it I guess.

5. Bkknupp

Bkknupp Well-Known Member

I have a new 700 that has the Xmark trigger. I think the Xmark is junk. I am considering a Timney myself. I have shot a rifle with a Jewel and they are great. However, the Timney is more in my range, and I think it will be great for a hunting setup.

6. mrb1982

Yeah, it looked like the difference in price is around $50, which isn't a lot, and isn't a little I guess.

The xmark on my gun isn't the worst thing I've ever used. It has little to no creep, but I would just like something a little lighter I guess. The pull weight probably isn't as big of a deal at shorter distances. I just want to have as good of a setup as I can to give me the best results to shoot longer if I want to push my effective range out longer.

7. Bkknupp

Bkknupp Well-Known Member

From what I have seen , the Timney is around $110 and The Jewell around $200. I could not get my Xmark down under 3#. I shot a Jewell that was set at less than a pound. That thing was awesome. The guy that owned the gun swears that the Jewell he has is still safe down to 2ounces.

8. mrb1982

Yeah, that's kinda what they advertise from what I can see anyways. I have the same trials with my Xmark, #3 max, which isn't really too bad depending on what your desired applications are. I would probably take that xmark and put it on my old 270win with the old factory trigger just because it would be a good upgrade for the purposes I use that rifle for.

9. daniel brothers

daniel brothers Well-Known Member

it's a simple answer.... the smaller the target... the lighter the trigger should be.

Lighter the trigger... tighter the group.

It's the BEST INVESTMENT ON ANY RIFLE.

10. mrb1982

Kinda what I figured. I have never taken the time to put money into a trigger before. Curious to see how well I am really capable of shooting I guess.

I shoot under MOA right now off a 13-27" Harris and no bag under the back. I am probably gonna buy a 9-13" bipod so that I can shoot a more true prone position with a good bag under the back of the rifle and a good trigger and I should be good to go.

11. rick523

rick523 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this helps but I had a jewel put on my 7mm build set at 1lb4oz I liked it enough that I put one on my 223 set at same weight so I get a lot of trigger time with out burning up a barrel and can still get used to the feel when it breaks. (both will shoot well under 1/2 moa)gun)

12. mrb1982

That is actually a pretty dandy idea

13. silvertip44

silvertip44 Well-Known Member

I did the same with my three 700 5Rs. I put Jewells in them and all are set at 1 pound. The trigger feels the same in the .300 as it does in the .308 and .223.
    I sold the X triggers to someone here on the forum and was happy he wanted them. Even though I didn't like them, they didn't need to go into the scrap box.
    Installing the Jewells was probably the best improvement made.

14. mrb1982

Sounds like you guys got me talked into it.

I am hereing from searches on here that the best way to order them is directly from Jewell. Is this true? How much is this gonna cost me? Most places I am seeing them online here are saying about $229, is that about right or what has everybody else been getting them for?