How many use “Old” Scopes?

On a second Savage 99, this one in .300 Savage, I decided to mount a old Redfield Accutrack 2-7. I had on my first hunting rifle, a Savage 110 .30-06, circa 1982, so I found one NOS, and bolted it up using Leupold dovetail rings. The only problem is trying to find gloss steel rings. The new crop looks painted with something that vaguely looks like polished metal, so I will eventually source a set of steel rings.

I originally wanted to use a set of Conetrol rings, but the spacing on the factory drilling and tapping didn't leave enough room for the scope w/o using extension rings.

1696092131334.jpeg

Here's a 1996 vintage VX-2 I had sitting around and it currently resides on my new Tikka. I will probably get around to replacing with maybe a Vortex Diamondback.
Personally, I'd stick with the Leupold. Just because it's not shiny new doesnt mean a shiny new one will be better.

I hunted with an older gent in the 80s who had a 60s vintage Weaver on his rifle.
One year, he put 2 shots into the heart at a running Whitetail.
The next year, at his Son-in-Laws behest he replaced that scope and promptly wounded a deer standing 50 yards in front of him. He had shot the rifle a bit to get used to the scope but somewhere along the line it lost zero and was way low.
I don't think I've ever seen a more dejected hunter.

Ok, I'm getting into this one... My Redfield 3x9 40mm (1965) on my Remington Model 760 (1964) .223 Rem... not many of these around anymore, it's still a tack driver. Cheers

View attachment 498004
Those 760 Pump Gamemasters are iconic up in west/central PA. I remember my Father in law pumping his (in 30.06) empty on several occasions, shooting at groups of does running across fields up in Clearfield county.

Those 760 Pump Gamemasters are iconic up in west/central PA. I remember my Father in law pumping his (in 30.06) empty on several occasions, shooting at groups of does running across fields up in Clearfield county.
They are and can be quite accurate, as I recall one year the Air Force team won the International Running Bore championship one year with re-barrel (heavier) Model 760s in ...I think it was .223 Rem? could have been .222 Rem as well. The FBI swat sniper showed up to a lot of schools with the Remington 760, in .308 Win, yeah fact... I wouldn't say they were the best choice, but at the time they did very well on the range as I recall, and very fast on follow-up shots. I think the reasoning used for the Model 760s, was that they were issued Remington Modle 870s as well and it was about the same control dynamics of the two. Later they got into more bolt guns and ARs this was a ways back in the early days of LEO swat & ert. Cheers

YZ, yes you are cheap. New glass is polished better and clearer than old glass the majority of the time. New glass also has better coatings than old glass so they transmit light better, have better contrast and better color definition. I had an old 1950s Weaver 3x9 on a .243 Win that I couldn't see a deer in the woods at 50 yds standing broadside on an overcast day. I could see it clearly when not looking through the scope. Had to look for the tree it was standing beside to find the deer in the scope. Got rid of that scope the next week. Will old scopes work? Yes, even scopes from the 1800s will work. Are they your best choice? Usually no. New scopes are better for what you wanted it for - long distance - due to better glass, reticles and turrets. Can you wag a long shot with an old reticle? Yes, just don't expect a first round hit. You might get lucky a few times guessing how much to hold over the deer, but that definitely is not precise aiming for "long distance. "

Last edited:
Yep, I still have some El Paso Weavers. I lusted after them when I was in my teens and twenty's and even later.
Now, my "go to" on longer range prairie dog rifles are Mk 4's. These appear to have been discontinued so they may be "vintage."
I have a Weaver V9 W/ a German #1 post reticle. It is on a varmint rifle. I would like to find a scope made today with this same style reticle w/ post illuminated. But they seem to be nonexistent. Anyone know of a company making these today ?

Seems things in PA have not changed much. We still love our 760 Gamemasters. Heavy suppression for deer is still a thing here. lol

I am travelling now, but my WBY MK V Deluxe came from the factory with a "WBY" scope in 1959. 2-7.
My Win M70 30.06 Made around 1996 and has a Leupold 3-9x40 made around that time.
My AK-74 made in Poland has an eastern block scope from the same era.
I know I have some others. I just know the limitations of each and use them accordingly.

B & L Balvar 2x8, internal windage and elevation adjustments. Still going strong.

Leupold Vari X III, 3.5x10x with Adjustable AO,

Many Burris Signature with light collectors on the front
I still have my B & L Balvar 8B 2.5x8.
I sent my Leupold Vari X III, 3.5x10 back to Leupold for service and they offered to give me a new scope because they don't stock parts.