How many MOA?

Tyler Kemp

I understand the Burris Signature 8-32x doesn't have a huge range of adjustment, but if I want to be able to shoot at 100, plus as far the an angled base or rings will let me, how many MOA can I go up, 5, 10, 15, 20? I would like 100 yards to be at the lower end of the adjustment range so I have as much possible elevation for longer distances.

Edit-I can't find the adjustment range for the scope anywhere, I figured Burris would have it. If anyone does, that would help in making a decision.

Last edited:
I wrote an article which is on the home page which should answer your questions on setting up your scope.

If you pull up the spec sheet on the Burris website, the amount of elevation adj is listed. You can also just spin the turrents.

Jerry

I'll look again, I would just count the moa on the scope, but it isn't here yet. UPS tried to deliver it last Thursday, but mom and dad were working, I was at school. It's been bad weather and they haven't came since...

Found it, a whopping 22 inches of adjustment. Does 15 MOA of "up" sound reasonable? If I sighted it on 5 MOA from bottoming out, I would have 32 MOA up, well past 1000 with my 6mm Ackley and 7mm STW. Of course I hope my reciever is straight and flat so I can sight the scope in bottoming out.

Last edited:
I'll look again, I would just count the moa on the scope, but it isn't here yet. UPS tried to deliver it last Thursday, but mom and dad were working, I was at school. It's been bad weather and they haven't came since...

Found it, a whopping 22 inches of adjustment. Does 15 MOA of "up" sound reasonable? If I sighted it on 5 MOA from bottoming out, I would have 32 MOA up, well past 1000 with my 6mm Ackley and 7mm STW. Of course I hope my reciever is straight and flat so I can sight the scope in bottoming out.

Nope, if you only have 22" of adjustment, when you get your scope it should be in the center of it's adjustment (22" is the full range from top to bottom). which means if you put 15minute bases/rings on it you'd be around 4" high at 100 (you can only go 11 down on your scope). That is of course given that when you're sighted in you're still real close to center in your elevation.

Puts you in a little bit of a bind, cause if you have to put much windage on on your scope to sight in, it will also decrease your effective elevation adjustment. So here's what I'd do; Get some burris signiture Z rings with the set of inserts, with burris bases (you can adjust the bases for windage). Then when you sight in, you can get real close to center windage with the bases, then you just gotta decide how much elevation you have left after you dial in your elevation and then pick the appropriate insert. One more piece of advice, if you plan on shooting several different loads out of your gun, you may want to leave a couple minutes of down adjustment, not to mention I doubt its a good thing to shoot with your erector bottomed out, just keep that in mind.

If you want to get a little more distance out of it you may want to think about a 2 or 300yd zero. But be warned, with only 22minutes of adjustment when you get out there a ways you're not gonna have much windage adjustment, even with the rings/inserts.

Last edited:
+3 at 100 is on at 300, so that seems like the way to go. With a 95 grain Berger @ 3300 fps anything less than 400 is hold on the deer. 19.1 MOA to 1000 yards, in a 10 mph wind I'm maxed out windage wise at 900 yards. Sooo, theoretically I wouldn't be sighted dead in the center of the scopes adjustment, I would still be good out to 1000 for elevation with the Signature Rings as long as the wind wasn't bad. I won't be shooting further than that. I would be good 700 easy for windage in a 10 mph wind also. Someday when I don't have to worry about highschool I'll have a Nightforce...

MidwayUSA - Search Results

Are all these bases windage adjustable, and which one would you prefer?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.