How many use “Old” Scopes?

YZ-80

I don't know about you guys but I have a bit of a problem paying more for glass than the price of a gun. As a result, I've got several "dinosaur" scopes that I've held onto over the years. Of course, I know their limitations. But within reasonable limits, I've found they are quite capable. I'm interested to know how many of you use them for what you might consider "long range" (relative term). More specifically, scopes with standard reticles (no subtentions or adjustable turrets). Here's a 1996 vintage VX-2 I had sitting around and it currently resides on my new Tikka. I will probably get around to replacing with maybe a Vortex Diamondback. For now, I'm making it work. Is anybody else as cheap as I am?

IMG_8203.jpeg
IMG_8204.png

I sold the last one I had a few months ago. I had a leupold vari-xiii 6.5-20×40 duplex. I hate duplex reticles so I sold it for money to help fund a better scope for a rifle. I got $350 very quickly so I probably could have gotten more.

I bought a Burris Veracity 3-15x50 "used" off Amazon for $500. For my western hunting needs it is a far superior/usable scope and I am only in it for $150.

For me duplex is for 200 yard and under hunting where you never need to dial or hold over. I have a couple Redfield Revolution scopes that are basically vx-2 scopes that I wouldn't trust to dial, but they have a hold over reticle so they are usable for certain rifles.

I own 2 such scopes, one is a 3-9x40 Nikon that sits on top of my 243, it works just as good as the day I bought it, so no need to change it, also own a Leupold VX-2 which is also a 3-9x40, that sits on my 308, again it works great, so that won't be changed either. Both have seen use out to 300+ yards.

Actually when I look around my safes, I have quite a few, some mounted some not. Like these two on my Ruger 77/357 and 77/44 Leupold M8 6X 42mm which in my book is one of the best scopes Leupold ever made, I think these two were from the 70s. I have older ones in Leupold, Redfield, and Weaver... Cheers

Ruger rifles .357 Mag .44 Mag 003.JPG

Still have a Kahles L 3-12 x 56 that's nearly 37 years old nowadays. It's been a couple different rigs since mid 1980's and still works, like it did new. Old Zeiss Diavari C in 3-9 x 36 is just good reliable rifle scope, it might be nearly 40 by now. Couple ol Red field's vintage scopes, still holdN onto their crosshairs, not bad either.

All the new scopes are matte finish. For some older classic blued rifles, they just don't look right. I'm always on the hunt for older Leupold, Redfield, Weaver, Etc. I just mounted a 6X old school Redfield on a Pre-64 Mdl 70 in '06, looks "correct", shoots even better. Found it at a yard sale for ten bucks. Even some of the Japan glass from the 60's - 70's is good quality stuff. My dad runs a 1969 Mdl 700 in .270 with a straight 6X Weaver. He's been shooting that combo with Remington Core-Lokt ammo since he bought it new at the hardware store. I wouldn't bet against him out to 500 yards or so, you might get embarrassed. That was an upgrade from a Savage 99 with a 4X Weaver! Wish I had that one back.......

All the new scopes are matte finish. For some older classic blued rifles, they just don't look right. I'm always on the hunt for older Leupold, Redfield, Weaver, Etc. I just mounted a 6X old school Redfield on a Pre-64 Mdl 70 in '06, looks "correct", shoots even better. Found it at a yard sale for ten bucks. Even some of the Japan glass from the 60's - 70's is good quality stuff. My dad runs a 1969 Mdl 700 in .270 with a straight 6X Weaver. He's been shooting that combo with Remington Core-Lokt ammo since he bought it new at the hardware store. I wouldn't bet against him out to 500 yards or so, you might get embarrassed. That was an upgrade from a Savage 99 with a 4X Weaver! Wish I had that one back.......
You are right about the gloss scopes! I like them a lot. Here's a VX-2 4X12 from1995 that I bought to put on a Browning A-Bolt .243 I bought at the same time. It now sits on a Weatherby Altitude. I think I paid $269 retail for it. It has been on several rifles over the years and remains one of my favorites. Come to think of it, so does that old A-Bolt!

IMG_8207.jpeg