How many of you are using 30-378 or 338 Lapua Mag?

ElkHuntNewMexico2008063.jpg

ElkHuntNewMexico2008062.jpg

DSC00900.jpg

Nice rifle JWP. Is it a custom build? How built it? With regards to the photo with you on horseback. Where were you hunting?

Thanks.

I have a 338 Lapua Improved, and it smacks with much more authority than any 30 caliber. It is also superior in the wind to any 30 caliber bullets at long range. In my mind a 7mm will do anything a 30 caliber can do, but the 338 is a step up.

Nice rifle JWP. Is it a custom build? How built it? With regards to the photo with you on horseback. Where were you hunting?

Thanks.

My rifle was built by Shawn Carlock of Defensive Edge. I was hunting in northern New Mexico

I was wondering the same thing. The 338 lapua Is an awesome round. I did end up going with a 30-378 accumark. I went with the 30-378 because I seen more ammo around for sale for it. In case I end up going somewhere hunting i want to find it on someones shelf. Second theres alot more bullet types to choose from. Third theres not much the lapua is going to kill the the30-378 won't.

I did have my gun tweek a little, Schmidt& bender 3x12x50 Mil. LP, Christensenarms new shilen match grade barrel,titauim brake, accurize the action, teflon coat it, timney trigger, neer MFG picatiny 40moa rail.

I haven't had a chance to test groups at long rang, but at 100yrds. Its shooting 1/2'' with FACTORY ammo. and thats still after 7-8 shots out of the barrel. I was really happy with Christensenarms. It did what they said it would do.

I however do want a 338 cannon. i was looking at that 338 norma mag that I seen. From what I read Its competitive with 338 lapua. They say out of a 26 barrel the lapua has no advantage on it. Its shorter so it can be put in a standard long action and as can cycle in a mag. Seems like a great round just looking to see more info on it.gun)lightbulb

Hello. I have used 30/378 AND 338/378 I currently own both. My 30/378 is what we call a carry in gun for long range out to 1400 yrds with 200smk bullets the gun weighs 15 lbs and it has a 32 inch long barrel. you need at least 30 to get the vel. out of the thing. And it is a barrel burner. everything comes at a price. 30 cals are good to about 1400yrds max I now guys that have killed deer further but from my only personal experiences 1000 to 1200 yrds is about it. Thats why I went to the 338/378 whby. This is no carry in gun it weighs 90 lbs it was built for one reason kill game out to 2000yrds. This gun has a 38inch krieger 2 inch dia. barrel with and has a muzzle break added. I don't won't it to move on the bench when it goes off. You can watch the wake of the bullet go through the scope well beyond a 1000yrds. The 300smk at 3100fps is incredable to say the least. My good hunting buddy built a 338/408 chey tac its expensive and only nets another 150 fps. We have killed evrything with the 300 smk whitetail to elk. It really pounds a elk at 1600yrds.
If you want a hunting rifle not a bench rifle I would try the 338 edge or the improved version of the edge. The 338 bullet is supperior to the 30 cal. take care and have fun.

Myrifle30-378006.jpg
Myrifle30-378005.jpg
Sideshow bob, I hope these pics go threw this is my first time trying to upload on here.
dirtboy7

Last edited:
Hello . Yes you can drive 300smk to 3400fps I have seen it done. with a 37 inch barrel. also the guys that have tried found one thing out. the 300smk doesn't like that high velocity. in this gun the sweet spot is 3280 thats where it shots the best. I will gladly give up a 150 fps and have greater accuracy at 1000to2000yrds any day. We killed two mule with my 338/378 one day in colorado at 1950 yrds and they both dropped instantly. My 338/378 has a 9 twist barrel and we have found that shots better than the 10 twist by a good margin beyond 1500yrds. the 9 twist my over stablize the 300 smk at under a 1000yrds but it seems to really shine beyond that distance. The 338/378 is also a very simple reloading deal factory cases no fire forming etc.. 300gr smk and 111.5grs of Imr 5010 surplus powder does the trick and case life is good. Dan Lilja has some good info on the 338/378 and long range hunting.
nice talking to you.

dirtboy,

that is a beautiful gun. my eyes are watering as I write this.

338 believer, wow your guns are pretty big. I would have a hard time carrying it from my car to the bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.