How many carry a 44 or similar when you are rifle hunting?

You are missing the point. Its not all about energy. At some point you need enough to penetrate the skull and reach the brains, but once you have that much, Its about accuracy and penetration, through the skull into the brain. Also, You aren't accounting for a situation where you shoot several times and this ends up on the ground. This dude should have been shooting better bullets, but it still illustrates my point:
No, I think you're not looking at what I said.

And that article lends more credence to carrying a revolver that won't be as likely to fail due to some bear hair interfering with the action.

There are several stories like these - its all about penetration and accuracy:

Buffalo Bore or Underwood hard cast or xtreme pentrator. 9mm - 10mm will get it done. I can keep posting these.

You read the whole part about the bear decided not to play, not that he stopped the attack with a 9mm right?

You read the whole part about the bear decided not to play, not that he stopped the attack with a 9mm right?

Funny - he prevented the attack and killed the bear by putting several shots in the vitals. At the end of the day we all carry and shoot what we want.

I carry glocks everyday, shoot 1000's of rounds through them every year. So yeah, I am pretty confident my glock 20 or 29 will get the job done and more confident in my ability to shoot it well in a stressful situation.

Really the goal is to survive, not even kill the bear.

No, I think you're not looking at what I said.

And that article lends more credence to carrying a revolver that won't be as likely to fail due to some bear hair interfering with the action.
But somebody with a revolver would have been out of rounds by that point.....you going to reload in that situation? Come on man....

Funny - he prevented the attack and killed the bear by putting several shots in the vitals. At the end of the day we all carry and shoot what we want.

I carry glocks everyday, shoot 1000's of rounds through them every year. So yeah, I am pretty confident my glock 20 or 29 will get the job done and more confident in my ability to shoot it well in a stressful situation.

Really the goal is to survive, not even kill the bear.

What is the point of all these articles?

I agree that comfort and capability with the weapon is the absolute #1 most important thing in choosing a bear defense gun. I also agree a .22 LR or 9mm has the capability to stop a bear attack. Would I be caught dead around bears with only a 9mm? Not on your life. My biggest issue is people believe 10mm is this amazing bullet for bears when it only caught on because it was almost like a .357 but higher magazine capacity in a gun most people are already familiar with/trained with. That is a long way from being a purpose built big boned animal killing round.

Random list of sub 400 lbs bears that decided to not die after getting shot:

But somebody with a revolver would have been out of rounds by that point.....you going to reload in that situation? Come on man....

Or the bear would have been dead sooner because bad shots with more power are perhaps more effective? The arguments so far is a CNS hit with the 10mm, and now 9mm, are just as effective as a bigger gun. Well, how did that work out for him when he wasn't able to get a CNS hit?

What is the point of all these articles?

I agree that comfort and capability with the weapon is the absolute #1 most important thing in choosing a bear defense gun. I also agree a .22 LR or 9mm has the capability to stop a bear attack. Would I be caught dead around bears with only a 9mm? Not on your life. My biggest issue is people believe 10mm is this amazing bullet for bears when it only caught on because it was almost like a .357 but higher magazine capacity in a gun most people are already familiar with/trained with. That is a long way from being a purpose built big boned animal killing round.

Random list of sub 400 lbs bears that decided to not die after getting shot:

Your articles are about bear hunting, not bear defense. Two completely different things. My articles are about bear defense. Doesnt have to kill the bear - you just have to live to fight another day. Pick a bullet that penetrates in a cartridge and platform you can shoot accurately.

Or the bear would have been dead sooner because bad shots with more power are perhaps more effective? The arguments so far is a CNS hit with the 10mm, and now 9mm, are just as effective as a bigger gun. Well, how did that work out for him when he wasn't able to get a CNS hit?
Read the ammoland article - doesnt have to be a CNS kill shot. Just have to deter it.

I did for a few years, but a loaded daypack, binoculars, camera, rifle, handgun, and high mileage hunts in the mountains.....something had to go! Now, it's either handgun or rifle .....not both! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.