How do you carry a heavy cannon?

Kifaru Gun Bearer-- http://www.kifaru.net/GUNBEAR.HTM

Works very well for me. I think it's more comfortable than slinging and faster to get in action in my experience. Weight is on the hips. Long barrels aren't as much of a problem because the buttstock is so low and can be adjusted up and down as needed. But, you have to buy an expensive Kifaru pack to get one...but I sure like mine.

Look at sloganoutdoors.com, I have had one of these slings for over two years and love it. You have probably seen it on the outdoor channel. It was on my 13.5lb 7mm mag and now sits on my Kirby/Lilja 338/300RUM. I don't know the weight but it has a 30in(plus QD brake) heavy barrel. The sling allows me to carry it 3/4 backpack. The only problem i've had is the swivel screw heads are too long to close my bipod so I shaved them a little. It's one of the best $25 I've ever spent.
I too have had a problem jumping deer up close but my problem is the 16X SS scope not the large rifle I carry. I usually carry two rifles any way. A short little auto and my cannon.

jmden,
Actually you don't have to buy a Kifaru pack you can just buy the Gunbearer seperately. I think they cost like $25 When I used a heavy rifle I used the gunbearer. Good luck.

Thanks for all the great responses. The land is near the Missouri river in Montana. I shot a fat little 3 pt at 717 yards and jumped four bucks 5 pts and bigger (never got a shot off as the cannon is too heavy - easy shots with my little 270 WSM). Hunting with my brother and nephew next year will help flushing. On Halloween I pitched my custom Kirby/Allen/300 RUM and took my 6.5 # 270 WSM, jumped another fat little 3pt and I had my two deer. I really need 2 guns for this country.

I carry a backpack with 1.5L of water (camel pack), binoc's, rangefinder, stoneyPt Sticks, food, GPS, camera, knife, additional clothing, two cell phones, chair (less than 1 lb).

I was really surprised that I used everything I carried, surprised that I could have used better binoculars and really surprised I never used the stoney Pt sticks on the farm (The harris bi-pod was not quit tall enough for is grass, I'll get a bigger one for next year).

I hunted in the mountains around my cabin and the sticks would have worked better there. I missed a fat 2 pt buck at 193 yards (aimed between his eyes and the 155gr SCENAR went right between his ears, (looking at my ballistics table latter))

Patience is the best approach, but between 10 AM until 2 hrs before dark I need to walk and kick a few animals up.

Next year I'll take one at over 1,000 yards. At one point I had deer completely surrounding me. I hope to break 1 mile in 3 years. Will it be one of my 50 BMGs, my 338 Kirby/Lilja/RUM or perhaps a Kirby 7mm Uber Mag.

If you really want to carry two guns, then an alternative approach that might be a lot of fun would be one of those XP pistols or a TC contender. I personally am not good enough to hit the side of a barn from the inside with a pistol but it sure sounds like a lot of fun. I tried this many years ago with the 30 Herret in an early Contender and became frustrated with the scope mount slipping and my own ineptness and sold it.

Can someone please post a more complete picture of the Accuracy International biathlon sling mentioned above? I viewed the picture showing the sling's attachment at the top of the rifle. I'd like to see the rest of the sling and whether or where it attaches to the butt of the rifle. Thanks.

Bigbore,

I'll second or third....... the comments about the Kifaru gun bearer system. I have used it extensively with my Kirby cannon (338Kahn) which weighs in at 19lbs.

As the others pointed out, it puts the weight on your hips rather than your shoulder. I have found it to be much faster to get into position than a sling as well.

All the instructions for it show the rifle being carried with the scope tucked under your arm. With the shape of the A-5 stock on my rifle and the size of the 56mm NF scope this does not work well for me. I turn the rifle around with the scope facing forward. I have found this does not slow me down getting the rifle up even though I have to rotate it as it drops into my hands after pulling the release strap.

It did take a little trial and error to get the bottom boot that holds the butt and the upper barrel strap just right. Once I got it adjusted just right the rifle carries well. If there is a more comfortable way to carry a rifle, especially one that allows you to get into action quickly, I have not seen it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This has already been posted, but I too use two guns - one LRH rifle and a S&W Performance 44 Light Hunter (instead of the Contender already mentioned). The 44 covers me to 100-125 yards with the Stoney Point Explorer Bipod I use as walking sticks - I jump one, and out comes the pistol, on top of the shooting sticks and bam. If the game is outside of 125 yards (which is about as far as I can judge with my crippled depth perception/eyesight) then I go to the cannon with a laser rangefinder - if they are 150 yards out and they are hauling then I am sol, but at least this gets me two types of opportunity. If they slow down or I can figure out where they are going bam with the cannon.

The 44 has a 1x power dot sight - very similar to a Bushnell Holosight, it is much less intrusive than a scope but gets my sight and target on one sight plane, which is critical for me on moving game (eyesight again).

I got to this setup because 1.) anything within 300-400 yards with a rifle is either a slam dunk or a shot I would not take and i.e. it is not a challenge and 2.) I am into the LRH with the rifle cause of the same reasons - a 450-700 yard shot with a rifle is much more challenging.

With both situations I have to think a lot about my shot, not just see the animal and pull the trigger. I constantly have to make decisions (sometimes within a second) of what I can or can't do, which is the challenge part.

Just my 2c, off topic slightly but it is a solution to your issue - two guns instead of one that takes too much time to deploy.

Regards,
Erik

Len,
Only just spotted your post; by coincidence Jimm emailed me on the same subject yesterday. Here's some of what I said:

The AI sling...I'll tell you whatever I can. I've attached a pic of my AW with my version of the sling (the only pic I have to hand that shows the sling at all...but not too well)...AI biathlon clips with strapping I got from work..same overall effect but free!...the AI product is well made, but wildly over-priced...something like £40 / $60 over here (and only available in black).

I would point out the butt sling attachment point -quite close to the heel of the stock which allows the rifle to hang pretty naturally; pics I've seen of McMillans seem to put their rear-side sling point nearer the stock's toe...I don't think this would allow the rifle to hang as naturally.
I would think the clips are rather AI specific; they need a large ring to clip to.

I also suspect that the flat-sided AW fore-end makes the thing more comfortable to wear...but I'm guessing.
P7210145biathlonzoom.jpg

Brown Dog , Len,

I am fortunate in that I had to pay for my AI sling - the full £45, as I don't get my toys for free!

Iv'e just taken a few (rushed)photo's of the attachment points on the sling and of the quick release center strap arrangement.

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

Hopefully this will show the sling in greater detail.

It is a very good idea, I've used mine for a couple of months now and have come to the following conclusions:

The attchments will fit any rifle that has a harris quick release sling fitting - I am not sure about the Mcmillan dish type fitment, but you should get a good idea of relative sizing and space required from my pictures.

There is quite alot of "slop" bettween the attachment point and the harris swivel, it causes the rifle to move on your back without warning and with this movement, one hears a "clack", easily rectified by wrapping the clip and swivel in electrical tape - I havent got around to doing this yet, but will asap.

If you are a larger frame (I'm just under 17 stone and 6ft tall) the sling is a little difficult to put on and requires a certain technique to put it on comfortably in one movement, once you aquire this skill, there are no problems.

With the aid of the quick release clips in the middle of the sling, if you come accross something whilst the rifle is in the full carry position (on your back like a rucksak) it is easy to release one side quietly and remove the rifle rfrom your shoulder like a normal one sided sling.

Would I recommend this product - yes, but it requires you to accept that you have to "live with it" to be able to use it properly.

Hope this explanation is clear.

Andy,

You pipped me to the post! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My pics anyway!...cross-referenced to Andy's QD attachment photos; hopefully these pics will help clarify everything!

(as I said earlier, note that my clips are AI biathlon clips, the straps are not AI):

...I've even used an imperial ruler for our former-colonial cousins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ..
P1070211.jpg
P1070206.jpg

P1070209.jpg
P1070207.jpg

P1070208.jpg

Guys, thanks for the considerable effort in responding. The pictures help a lot. I will print them and view them later when near my rifle.

Here's what I have been using for my 15 pound, A5-stocked rifle. I use a conventional sling. I also have a quick-release belt with what I would call an open webbed pouch on it. (Cabela's) The rifle is slung in a normal manner, although with the butt placed over the small of my back rather than off to the side. The butt is also resting (at the small of my back)in the pouch which takes most of the weight and uses my hips for support. This is quite comfortable for the weights discussed in this Topic. The only drawbacks are having to wear one more sling-related item and the fact that my stock's butt fits snuggly into the pouch. I need to have a larger pouch fitted to the belt. Then the task of inserting or removing quickly the butt into the pouch at the rear of my waist with one hand would be much easier.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to make something more like an AI system work for me.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.