How is your Area Acorn Crop?

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
How is the Acorn Crop in your area? We live in Middel East GA. Some years are good some are real bad. This year is exceptional for Acorns. We had rain every couple of days all spring and summer. The Deer like the White Oak the best then the Red oak. We are having a bumper crop of White , Red, and Sawtooth Oak Acorns this year. Can't walk in my yar or woods without slipping on acorns. Good feed for the Deer and Turkeys. Bad thing is that the hogs are here, and they don't miss an acorn on the ground and they love Acorns also.
There ae so many Acorns falling from the trees recently it is like raining only with a lot more noise when the Acorn hits something.

Same in the Texas Hill Country. It looks like there has been a rodeo under every oak that is dropping acorns. Here is one that won't be eating any more though 😂

tempImageezA6aF.png

SE Texas acorn crop is also super heavy, deer and hogs aren't eating at the feeders hardly at all. One of my feeders had corn an inch deep under it and the other hasn't been cleaned up in weeks. I cut my timers in half and still have corn covering the ground under the feeders. The acorns under the trees (mostly live oak) are everywhere, they are dropping faster than all the critters put together can put a dent in them. I haven't seen a hog on my game cameras in over a month, it seems like they have stopped moving simply because they don't have to move to find more food than they can eat. When they do get to my place, if they do, it's going to be a hogicide rodeo for a day or two I think......

Northern California in our county has a bumper crop this year, we had one of the worst winters on record last but nature tried making up for it in the spring, and anything last years fire (over two hundred thousand acres) didn't burn is doing well, mostly black oak but have a few white and live oak.

SE Texas acorn crop is also super heavy, deer and hogs aren't eating at the feeders hardly at all. One of my feeders had corn an inch deep under it and the other hasn't been cleaned up in weeks. I cut my timers in half and still have corn covering the ground under the feeders. The acorns under the trees (mostly live oak) are everywhere, they are dropping faster than all the critters put together can put a dent in them. I haven't seen a hog on my game cameras in over a month, it seems like they have stopped moving simply because they don't have to move to find more food than they can eat. When they do get to my place, if they do, it's going to be a hogicide rodeo for a day or two I think......
Happy to see that there are more locations in North America having a good crop of food for wildlife. May not be the same everywhere, but at least the animals get a win! Glad to see Inflation has not affected them YET!

Quick Story
Discovery Mills was a Mall in GA that had Bass Pro as the Anchor Store. They had a gigantic parking lot. All through the parking lot was Islands with White Oak Trees and also all around the Mall. Jill and I went there about 15 years ago with a trailer and six 55 gallon plastic Drums. There were so many acorns that we filled all the drums in one afternoon. The grass Islands and anywhere there where Oak Trees was loaded with acorns. Since the grass was maintained we just used leave rakes and flat shovels to pick up the acorns. All through the winter we put the Acorns out for Deer and Turkey for several months. Yes we did shoot several deer and turkeys. Didn't consider "Baiting" since it was food from trees.
Deer like White Oak Acorns because they are sweet. Red Oak Acorns are more bitter. So when hunting go to the area with White Oaks first and later in the season the Deer eat the Red Oak after the White Oak are gone.