How heavy a gun is too heavy for hauling?

Excellent advice!
Sometimes I wish though my 6.75# 7WSM was the rifle I was most comfortable with. It might be in a few years, but its got to prove itself first.

My elk rig is 12lb. The past 2 years I've humped it by sling on hunts that require about 16 miles/day of hiking. The one day I actually shot game (elk AND muley) the first year I even forgot the sling so was hand-carrying. I would not recommend that to someone in average shape, I won a marathon the week before and was keeping up with a mountain goat of a local that had 30 days in the mountains that fall before I arrived. For most people, I think a tactical rifle on a backpack hunt is too much.

I got an Eberlestock this year, no more slinging the rifle. What I can do, and what I can do and enjoy, are different things. By the time I am 40 I will get a light rifle in 300WSM built to replace this Sendero for backpack hunting.

What I can do, and what I can do and enjoy, are different things. By the time I am 40 I will get a light rifle in 300WSM built to replace this Sendero for backpack hunting.

Roger that. Never said I couldn't haul around a 15-20 lb rifle. Simply said that the mere thought of doing so about makes me puke. Which is to say, I wouldn't enjoy the time afield.

I've walked more than 100 miles through the mountains carrying a backpack that never weighed less than 65 lbs, not including my rifle and bow & arrow on a single hunt spanning 21 days afield. These miles were measured as air miles off a USGS topographical map. Hard to say how many actual miles were involved on the ground. Did a second comparable miles traveled hunt that lasted 14 days.

Nowadays I don't go hunting to practice self survival skills, and I'm pretty sure brute gorilla manliness was not a key theme to the OP's question.

Brute gorilla manliness was not a key theme-Well said Phorwath. A little enjoyment and relaxation should play a part.

My elk rifle tips the scales at 16.5 lbs. Several other have mentioned the Kifaru gunbearer system which is what I use. If you are going to be doing a lot of walking use the Kifaru or other pack type gun carrying system which will get the weight off your shoulders and on your hips.

Once you have the weight on your hips remember to take a critical look at everything else in your pack. Now you are simply concerned with total pack weight. For all your other gear buy the best mountaineering and backpacking gear you can afford........ typically light weight costs the most.

I hunt with other guys that give me a hard time about packing a 16 pound rifle, but they think nothing of all the crap they don't need that they have in their pack. I would rather find a way to trim 6 pounds out of the rest of my gear and carry the rifle that can make that 1K yard shot.....

My hunting rifles vary in weight between 8 lbs and 10.5 lbs. Due to the confidence factor, I always end up with the heavy one even on long backpack trips. I have spent the last few months shooting off the bipod out to 800 yds with my Tikka and will probably carry it this year.

Looking for opinions on a basic issue. I'd love to take my 7wsm tactical/long range gun on my next mulie hunt in western Wyoming. The issue is it weighs just shy of 15 lbs. From camp to higher elevation hunting areas would be on horse back. From there it's shoe leather. I realize an appropriate pack (Gunslinger or the such) could help. On last years elk hunt my 6.5-284 Cooper at 9lbs. scoped was a non issue. I'm not weight shy, just want to know what lengths the rest of you go with your long range rigs. I'd hate to handicap myself but this gun is 1/2" and under all day long!
Thanks for your feedback.

I carry my 15 pounder in an eberly stock...X1...its not bad at all....About the time you see game at 850 yards with a bit of wind, you'd be wishing for the tack driver...I guess it all depends on the type of hunt as well.

zman

Ditto to that. X1 helps me tote around my 13lb gun all day long on the coyote stands. Armalite AR10T in 243 w/loaded 20rd mag and bipod. I wouldn't even attempt that with just a rifle sling. The scabbard is nice and roomy for large rifles too. Just make sure your legs are in shape and the lungs will come around after a few days of hunting:)

as a young 18 year old soldier i was given the m60 to pack since i was the newest guy.when i mentioned how heavy it was my pltsgt told me that aint heavy,its 21 pounds of pure love and it loves you.:)i hated that thing.

depends on where i'm hunting, in thick scrub where you have to move fast, my TRG42 weighs in at 13lb loaded, my last outing was going for camels with my PGWDTI timberwolf which was a hefty 24.2Lb loaded, but guaranteed a drop with every shot.

say it's BS if you'd like, i spent too much time lugging MG's in the army and find comfort in the weight.

trophy.jpg

I haven't had a chance to take my gun cross country,but I have a 30-378 topped with a Schmidt&Bender 3x12x50 Mil Lp. and with the scope, picatinny rail, rings, ammo carrier on stock with 2 180gr accubonds, brake, My scale reads just under 10lbs. The scope weighs 32oz it self. I did have a carbon barrel put on it. That took alot of weight off. I personally dont think you need a heavy 15lb rifle to shoot 1/2 groups. Not with todays technology, as mine does 1/2 or less with FACTORY ammo and by no means am I a shooting expert. I would say with the right builder if your looking for a carry around the mountain gun. I would go with someting under 8lbgun)

nice camel mate, my last trip was for camels too... nailed a bunch of em with my 308 @ 500yds... wishing i had more gun at the time, my big girl wasnt shootable back then tho. I couldnt get over how stupid they were, you hit one and the rest dont even blink an eye... my big girl is 21lbs, i dont know how far i will be comfortable hauling it yet, but as im reasonable young and fit i think it shouldnt be a drama unless i was climbing mountains at altitude, then i would definately want something lighter.

Nice Camel alright..........

I hunt a mix of thick alpine bush leading up into high mountain country.
Both long range and short range off hand type shots are possible.
My rifle is 14 pounds and I carry it in a Gunslinger pack from Ebelerstock with all my other shooting equipment, water, food etc.

I find the rifle easy to carry in the pack but its overall length is a problem as it catches on the scrub and low branches. Bark, dirt and crap get knocked off the scrub and ends up down in the bottom of the scabard. This crap almost always ends up inside the barrel. The but of the stock is too wide to fit the rifle down stock end first at the bottom of the scabard.

Another problem is that when an animal is stalked up to at close range the rifle is too long to shoot off hand with ease. Its just not practical for this type of mixed hunting even though quite a few long range shots are possible.

So its not just the weight that you need to consider. It is the overall effectivness of your shooting system to the terrain you intend to hunt.

I intend to build an all round rifle in .338RUM that will have a 26" barrel and better ballance for off hand shots, while still maintaining enough performance for long shots. This rifle will be about 10 pounds or less. I can then use the longer and heavier rifle in areas more suited to static long range hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.