Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

I would take a look at the Kifaru packs. Especially if you ever want to live out of your pack for more than a week and still bring the animal back. Check out the guys from the Proving trail adventures they are crazy. They haul 130lb loads of sheep for sometimes 3 days using the Kifaru 7200. These guys are traveling amazing distances sometimes more than 60 miles to kill rams.

I would take a look at the Kifaru packs. Especially if you ever want to live out of your pack for more than a week and still bring the animal back. Check out the guys from the Proving trail adventures they are crazy. They haul 130lb loads of sheep for sometimes 3 days using the Kifaru 7200. These guys are traveling amazing distances sometimes more than 60 miles to kill rams.

I once had to pack out a 5 day pack and a live 95 lb. sick German Shepard, 7 miles. It was rough. I'm glad those guys from Proving Trail Adventures are doing the testing. I'd say that's a pretty good test! I'll check it out.

Are there any packs that are sort of an all in one? Something that can be a heavy hauler and hold enough gear for 10 days and then break down/compress into a lightweight day pack, all while being comfortable with a load? I was thinking a badlands sacrifice with a frame might work for that. Any suggestions for something like that?

I purchased a J34 Eberlestock "Just one" pack for this hunting season. I packed out my elk with it and it did very well. I had tested it on a 5 mile hike with #75 lbs before season, it handled the weight well. It handled elk quarters with no problem. I went with the J34 because it was affordable on a limited budget. The pack can expand with a spike duffle and the rifle scabbard comes in handy too! I was looking at the MR packs, but didn't have the extra money for those, kinda spendy...my .02 cents

Another one for the Dana, I have a pre-Marmot Astralplane that has done great on some 130+ loads. I would like a better suspension at times so have had my eye on a Mystery Ranch, an updated version of the original Dana Designs.

If I had a bottomless wallet I might look at a McHale, they seem to have a small, dedicated following.

I like the idea of the Stone Ridge Terminus, it is light and looks like it tested tough. A bit less weight is good if it does not sacrifice strength. I often go through my Dana trying to find what I forgot in it only to realize it is just heavy.

I know Barney's out of Anchorage has a good following, heavy but tough.

Been looking at the Tenzing TZ 5000, anyone have any experience w/this pack or any of Tenzing's products?

I used an Eberlestock J34 on a CO elk hunt this year. I packed in about 60 lbs of gear for 2+ miles and it performed well. I didn't get an elk, but I'm sure it would have done just fine packing one out. It can certainly carry more than I'm capable of handling. At 61years of age, backpack hunting is getting harder. Although I will use a Cabela's Pack Vest for my daypack needs, the J34 also works well as a daypack.

I'm another fan of the J34. It has served my needs well as a daypack and for packing weight. Conditioning hikes with 50-60lbs have been comfortable and I've hauled 75+ pounds of mineral into some of my whitetail spots with it. I haven't used it to haul alot of weight deep into the mountains though.

For me it's a Barney's AK pack frame and a lightweight bag I sewed up. Think it's right at 6 pounds. Will handle bigger loads than you can. Never had a comfortable internal over 80 plus. Over 80 IMO requires an external. Had a moose quarter in mine, around 125ish for a couple miles. Most internals won't hack it, cannot even load it. That said, there is a new hybrid pack out of Montana I'm waiting on reviews from...

I have 2 eberlystock packs. Two years in a row I have snapped or buckeled the internal frame. Warrenty work takes forever and they really dont seem to give a ****. All I can say is a sharp chunk if snapped plasticd in your back sucks. Worked good for pack n out a deer but start throwing heavy loads of elk or caribou in it and they dont hold up. Just purchased a KUIU havent had any big loads in it yet. But I can tell you it has way more adjustment to fit different frame builds. Let you know what I think of it in the future.

If you can't afford a Kifaru hauling frame (I think the model is the Timberline Duplex now), save a while longer. All my hunting is done via backpacking and I've tried them all. I've had nothing but trouble with Badlands. Same with most of the other dedicated hunting packs. Mystery Ranch aren't bad but your spending as much or more than you would for a Kifaru and I much prefer the Kifaru. Nimrod makes good packs as well. Those are expensive too.

Blacks Creek are alright and can be had cheap right now. They have a good sizing system too. For an inexpensive pack that will do what you are asking, Blacks Creek Canadian may be the ticket. You can get one new for less than $150. The other option is a used Gregory Pro Series. The old style like a Robson Pro or Denali Pro. You can use the fitting instructions on the Gregory website and look for one on eBay.

FYI, there is no such thing as a comfortable backpack with over 75 lbs in it. That is uncomfortable work no matter what you are wearing. Most "hunting packs" suspension breaks down long before you reach 50 lbs anyway. I've found that square inches on your body means much more than thick padding for an effective suspension. And pack fit is the MOST important thing for comfort. If you have sore shoulders after a day hiking, either your pack doesn't fit or you don't know how to work the suspension. I've also found that most external frame packs ride too far from your body and when hauling heavy weight, off trail, the load can shift and cause you to fall. I stick to internal frames that hug the body.

I don't haul elk quarters on my back anymore. I use a sled. Works great even without snow. I can haul all the meat, antlers, hide etc. in a single trip. Much less work and much, much easier on the old body.

Kifaru just posted a new frame. Called the bikini frame it only weighs 2lbs 5oz. There is a 4800ci and 7000ci bag.

I have Dana that I have used for back country skiing and hunting,used alot horn hunting. Ilove Nimrod packs,they are designed for fire fighting and hunting. My son has a old one of mine and I have one set for archery and one for rifle as I carry different set ups.They have a meat duffle that packs in fanny, and I have the aluminum external frame also that fits main belt.Works great on horns and packed out a bull this year on frame.I carry the duffle on my tough hunts and take a load on way out, or a whole boned out muley.

Thanks for all the input fellas!

I was able to find a MR CC for about $180 after piecing together components, so I went that route. So far I like it but only have a couple of miles in it. Will be doing more testing as time allows.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.