Go in Light and Come out Heavy - Which Pack?

I've tried alot of packs cause I have blown discs in my lower back and horizontal pack shift kills me. I was running the Eberlestock Operator and recently switched to the Mystery ranch crew cab and love it. This pack is wonderful, the cinch straps work great and you can make even weird shaped heavy loads ride low and tight.
Just my .02
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

When I got my J34 I got a package deal, I got several padded pouches and a super spike duffle. I need to find out how a loaded spike duffle rides but for a upcoming sheep hunt I was considering a larger Stone Glacier pack or the Kifaru . Will still keep my J34 for everything else! I will need to save up a while to get either one!

I have had a Eberlestock Blue Widow for 3 years now and used it alot and carried well over a hundred pounds in it a couple of times, I have had zero problems and its without a doubt the most comfortable pack i have ever had.
I would buy one again.
Steve

Another one to consider is the badlands 2200, its kinda small but you can load and haul alot of meat. The blaze orange load panel works great!
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I've had an eberlestock, badlands, and mystery ranch nice frame pack and the mystery ranch is by far the best pack out of them for versatility to carry stuff being comfortable and amazing quality

I've done a good amount of packing. Having been a packer for the Stoney River Lodge in unit 19 and 17 . A couple guides from there had a company Frontier Gear of Alaska. They made an external frame Alaskan Guide pack that later became the Barney's Sports Chalet Guide pack.
The heaviest load I have hauled with it are 2 front quarters from a trophy bull moose. Pack did fine. I did OK.
80 pounds is OK to pack all day. When u get up to the 200 pound range it starts to feel like your spine is going to shear out thru your butt.
There are a lot of guys that can out pack me. But I got er done. The most I've walked in a day packing is close to 30 miles. Half loaded half on the go back. And have done runway sprints with 120+ pounds on. But I beat the other guy to the meat pole :D
Course I was younger then, hadn't gotten hurt as much. But I can still pack half a caribou or a trophy bull moose ham with the bone in. Used to do a ham and a back strap or half neck.

For deer hunting or day hunting I use a large Alice pack. They are tough and easy to walk thru the timber with.. But, I'm not a sheep hunter so toughness is more important than light weight.
An Alice pack will handle most moose necks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.