How far is this setup lethal?

I am familiar with .284 bullets and terminal performance. I wouldn't want to hit any animal with a tipped bullet under 1800fps with 2000fps being my personal cut off. A berger style open tip hunting bullet (with a clean tip) I use 1600-1700fps for a perfect presented shot. In the .284 hunting bullets world those velocities will net over 1000 ft lbs. I am very curious what bullet you are talking about. It would have a G1 north of .975 if it was in the 220 grain weight range (just my estimations with a ballistic calc). I am unaware of any bullet in .284 with those types of numbers. If it was a 180 class it would be over 1.0 G1 in a hunting bullet. I would start a new gun build today for that.

Let's take out the ethics of long range shooting and hunting and talk only about the killing power. Everyone always seems to have different ideas about ft/lbs, fps, frontal area, etc.

How far do YOU think this .284 cup and core setup is lethal? Like I said, this is in a vacuum, not on the real world.
LOL... sounds like a "wheel of Fortune" question.
I'l take 1,000 yards for a hundred. ;-)

Many things come into the decision as to whether to shoot or not. Among those "things" are the shooters experience at the given distance, the reliability of hitting at the particular range, the power of the rifle at that range, wind, anxiety, and perhaps another hundred or so issues that may or may not seem important. An ethical hunter will not be ruled by opportunity but by an honest evaluation of those issues. These are personal matters which will be different for each one of us. Just sayin'.

Let's take out the ethics of long range shooting and hunting and talk only about the killing power. Everyone always seems to have different ideas about ft/lbs, fps, frontal area, etc.

How far do YOU think this .284 cup and core setup is lethal? Like I said, this is in a vacuum, not on the real world.

Lethal? I have seen a 7mmRM kill a bull elk at beyond 1,200yds, and without knowing what bullet you are shooting nor your abilities at LR/ELR, I am going to make some assumptions based on vital hit areas at distance. Since you do not state what animal size this load is being used on, the "lethal" distances will ultimately vary. Deer, antelope, etc with this load maybe lethal well beyond the elk, moose etc range.

As a long time handgun hunter, I do not get hung up on ft/lbs of energy (power) as many do, for I have killed too many animals with loads that "start with" muzzle velocities and energies far less than most rifle impacts at LR, ELR. Many of those were shot with hard cast, non-expanding bullets and many with expanding that didn't expand much at all. Shot placement is "my" key to "lethal" not an arbitrary "power" number.

With that said, your stated load with a proper bullet and proper animal size may be lethal well beyond your listed max range given.

Time of flight, I swear is always the last thing mentioned, if at all....For me I find it very, very important in regards to long range shots on game. For me anything over 500 yards I'm going to be really really factoring that into my shots and do. You can move quite a bit in one second. Thats a full step, you go from a heart shot, to a gut shot. With what I shoot, that's 1.27 seconds for my bullets to go 1000 yards, so I wouldn't.-WW

Not enough bullet info for me to be more specific. If I was shooting a cup and core bullet of my choosing up to 1100 yards Elk size and down.

For lethality, it depends on the bullet.
I have personally shot deer at ranges where the bullet has fallen below it's velocity window. The bullets killed the animal, but the performance was very poor in most instances. The only bullet to date that has worked at 900fps/1100fps and expanded is the Nosler 6.5 129g & 142g ABLR respectively.
Bullets don't kill with energy, so I don't look into that like it's gospel because different bullets react differently even though the energy figures are the same.
In the OP scenario, 1100yrds would be max if you take into account velocity at impact.

Cheers.

A 22lr can be lethal out to a mile-- dead is dead but there can be suffering involved .

Once again, this is a subjective question based on what the individual considers to be ethical --

I guess the question for you is what do you consider to be the minimum velocity/energy you would use to kill
On a very calm, windless day, over a very calm and smooth day when I was about 15 years old, I tried to shoot a .22 long rifle bullet across an arm of Lake Livingston in East Texas. The distance across that part of the lake was just a little over a mile. No matter the angle of the rifle, I could not get the bullets anywhere even remotely across that lake. On the box was printed "RANGE 1 MILE." Not true.