How does brass affect accuracy?

Have you noticed a case volume difference between Lapua and Peterson in fire formed state, in the 280AI???
I can only speak about it, in the 6.5CM caliber experiments, that I have done with my rifles. Lapua holds more powder
than Peterson in the 6.5CM cases, and I was just wondering if that held TRUE with other calibers, as well.
I haven't gotten to that point yet. I am in the process gathering cases, powder, primers, bullet gather to start the process to load this 6mm-280 AI case. Rifle to assemble, Dies to get built, and several other items. Updating my reloading equipment. I have noted what you have ask of me. Log in your handle and question on my 11 pages of notes. Expect that to grow more over the months.

I haven't gotten to that point yet. I am in the process gathering cases, powder, primers, bullet gather to start the process to load this 6mm-280 AI case. Rifle to assemble, Dies to get built, and several other items. Updating my reloading equipment. I have noted what you have ask of me. Log in your handle and question on my 11 pages of notes. Expect that to grow more over the months.
Thanks, I just hit the follow button. That's valuable info, that can be used in the real world comparison..

One of my trusted mentors, a match winning local rifle building guru who just passed to told me the secret is neck turning . Make the necks consistent and accuracy will improve. We were talking abut varmint cartridge loading at the time.

Brass will not make a 3/4 MOA rifle shoot 1/2 MOA.
Assuming a well built rifle, things that affect accuracy the most, in order:
  1. The nut holding the trigger
  2. Load development (regardless of brass source)
  3. Reading the wind
The purpose of minimizing ES & SD is to take load development out of the equation. Getting you there, you can take a pile of brass, from different vendors even, and sort by load ES/SD.
You can dial in your equipment so its absolutely repeatable, and #1 + #3 will still get you.

There a little more than that, but on track. There several items that attention needs to be done. Case length, neck thickness, primer pockets, flash hole, bullet weight, annealing, setting primer, powder charge weight just to name a few.

Can someone school me on this? Why is brass quality important? How does it affect accuracy? If I have say a 3/4 MOA rifle, would higher quality, more consistent brass knock it down to say a 1/2 MOA rifle?

If I am already case trimming, chamfer, de-burring, cleaning every piece of brass. Would I see a difference going to a more premium brand over Winchester?
Different brands shoot the same load differently based on my testing with win v fed a while back just because. Nothing cosmic there. As for the best brass bringing you more accuracy, I would suggest you test for yourself. Fully prep 10 rounds and just trim the other 10. Assuming you are using a developed load for all, shoot and see what happens. I tried it at 1500yds with my 300rum and 225 load. Shot 50 rounds of virgin bertram brass while only trimming vs the box of fully prepped (neck turn, anneal, trim, flash hole deburred, mandrel). I didn't see enough difference to go measure. Just my experience. Always a good idea to test for yourself. Good luck.

LOL, I can see where turning necks and not paying attention to the rest of the variables/process can really cause some head scratching down range. Plus screwing up some good brass and wasting components. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt,, and believe,, he just didn't finish his statement in his post. That statement by it's self was scary, in the wrong EARS.:) LOL
I believe his mentor told him, He just didn't type every thing his mentor told him. LOL
I hope, any ways.

You never really know whats being told to a new hand loader. I started cutting necks over 20 years ago. I am updating my equipment due to what I have read here, and see why it's being done. Changing my ways on annealing my brass too. Being an old dog, doesn't mean I can't learn new tricks. Changing from just weighting bass to measuring volume weight. I can see the value in that also. I am not going to be a match shooter, but I can certainly tighten up my groups. At the same time I am looking to extend my range out 700 to 800 yards in one rifle. Other I will stay close to 500 yds. My work is cut out for me, and I am looking forward to that. Providing equipment to do those items is or can be an expenses, but hell I am old and it will go to my kids. The only thing is the items needed to build you rounds are hard to come by presently.

I fought with brass for many years thinking I could take almost any brand that was properly prepped and have done all that was necessary to essentially eliminate brass induced error. I saved a lot of headaches when I began using Lapua. ADG or Peterson if Lapua not available. It essentially took brass inconsistencies out of the equation while at the same time being able to tolerate considerably more pressure. I still prep the Lapua including light neck turning but equally prepped, in my experience, Lapua will result in more consistent accuracy vs most other brands. I have no stock in Lapua but have found it to be that good. Others are providing an ever higher quality product and our choices are expanding. Very much appreciated

I fought with brass for many years thinking I could take almost any brand that was properly prepped and have done all that was necessary to essentially eliminate brass induced error. I saved a lot of headaches when I began using Lapua. ADG or Peterson if Lapua not available. It essentially took brass inconsistencies out of the equation while at the same time being able to tolerate considerably more pressure. I still prep the Lapua including light neck turning but equally prepped, in my experience, Lapua will result in more consistent accuracy vs most other brands. I have no stock in Lapua but have found it to be that good. Others are providing an ever higher quality product and our choices are expanding. Very much appreciated
The biggest thing is getting your hands on it. Things sure out of stock.

The biggest thing is getting your hands on it. Things sure out of stock.
Trying times for sure. I have notification emails in everywhere and check some vendors at least twice daily for powder and primers. Lapua has some commonly used brass available but in general reloading components are selling-out within minutes. I thought I was going to be able to score some 565 a couple of weeks ago but couldn't enter my order fast enough...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.