How much does chamfer affect consistency?

mtshtr

noticed on some of my brass that the inside chamfer seems a little uneven.
I use a Lyman case prep machine and usually place the case on the inside tool for 4 quick seconds, then the outer debur tool for 6 seconds.

20231006_091313.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_091537_Chrome.jpg

Obviously the difference looks more pronounced in ultra close up, but can perceive it with eye barely as well.

How much would this affect sd/es?

I did extensive testing with VLD style and Standard style de-burring and the only difference with either was how shallow it was.
As bullets are released by expansion, not by neck interference, my conclusion was that if the chamfer was just deep enough to allow a uniform seating of the bullets concentrically to the neck, it was good enough, too shallow made for inconsistent seating and that's as far as it making ANY difference, not even ES & SD were influenced by making it larger or smaller, only eccentricity differences.

Cheers.

I would imagine there is more of a concern with brass life since everytime chamfer, we reduce effective neck length by a small amount, never tried to measure this but I would guess an extra 5-6 thou.

I suspect that case chamfer is more important to consistent bullet seating than it is to bullet release. I chamfer new cases and again after case trimming. Other than that, I will lightly chamfer after a 15min toss in the SS pin tumbler. I do not clean in the tumbler often.

Theres only one way to find out like everthing else, Test!
If you have E.S and S.D problems I would look elsewhere. Whats the target say?

Good results at target.(pics at 100 yd and 500 yd seating depth test

Screenshot_20231008_180015_Gallery.jpg

20230718_180055.jpg

But chrony is a cheap f1 shooting chrony and I almost don't trust it. I have seen some pretty wild swings. So not sure I trust the data.
I have a magneto speed but it won't work with this suppressor.

I had single digit es and sd with 6.5 grendel a few years ago with standard dies wirh expander, not doing anything special. (See pic below)
20230708_182052.jpg

IMG_20210810_091944.jpg

The 7mm prc I am using bushing, mandrel, annealing trying to be precise.