How does variences in bullet weight affect accuracy?

esshup

Just for the heck of it, I decided to sort a batch of bullets by weight. In a 130 grain bullet I have weights from 129.5g to 130.1g.

I sorted by .1g increments.

In a hunting rifle that is capable of shooting 3/8 moa, should I only load/shoot in increments of .1g, or is a larger weight variance not that detremental to accuracy?

There's pills for that condition.:D

I don't know that there is that much difference.

However, as someone recently posted any thing you do to increase consistency sure can't hurt.

It's as with that beach Vball chick w/the tape. If it helps the mind it helps. Good counsel..

I have shot bullets, of the same ogive, in weights varying as much as 3 gr., into the same group with my LV bench rifle. Example: 6mm, 7 ogive bullets weighing 65, 66 and 68 gr.

I have shot bullets, of the same ogive, in weights varying as much as 3 gr., into the same group with my LV bench rifle. Example: 6mm, 7 ogive bullets weighing 65, 66 and 68 gr.

Guys, thanks for the info. I agree that "mind over matter" does work to some degree. On the other hand, I'm a lazy guy and I don't particularly like working for 0 gain.;)

With time running short before leaving on the trip, I have enough to practice and hunt with one weight, but I will try shooting some from both ends of the weights at distance to see if there is any noticeable variance in group size, especially height.

Esshup;

Most will agree that it doesen't make much difference at normal ranges,
but at long range it can have an effect.

The best way to see the difference is with a chronograph but you have to
know when the light bullet is fired and when the heavy one is used.

It is a small % but could make a difference, It normaly works out to be a %
of bullet weight to % of velocity.(Example) A 200gr bullet that weighs 201gr
would slow velocity by about 1/2 of a % with every thing else being equal.

If I were trying to shoot the best group or shoot very long range with a rifle
I would weight sort the bullets,the brass,and weigh each powder charge to
the exact sameweight.But for most hunting 400yrds and under It wont make
that much difference.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.