House problem

Abolt

Moved into our house 4 years ago but was built in 1997. So far everything about this house seemed well built with no short cuts taken.

My wife teaches and had been in the living room watching tv this afternoon. She and our 3yr old lab walked into the bedroom and then heard BOOM!!! Walked out and saw this!

image_zpsoel9okwn.jpeg

image_zpsreyg3vls.jpeg

The beam from the vaulted ceiling came crashing down with the fans and landed right where our dog normally sleeps.

After looking at they used nails to go vertical to the trusses and screws horizontally from ONE side!

I think if they had used screws going vertical or screws on both ends it would have held just fine.

Total damage is only two fans so we got real lucky!

Holy Moly !!!! It just goes to show you, a good deed never goes unpunished. Hope your friend likes his new rifle.

glad everybody is ok. being a contractor for many years that type of beam is cosmetic not structural. my main concern would be your electrical for fans

How long were the screws that came in horizontally? Unless they were 7-10 inch lags, looks like they would have been useless. Because they would have never reached the truss. Sorry to see this happen to a homeowner. Glad nobody got hurt.

Yea it could have been bad, my wife doesn't want the beam back just the ceiling fans so will put them up once she picks out new ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts