House fire

turkeyfever

Three weeks ago my family and I lost our house to a fire that started in the attic from HVAC or fire place. Different conclusion from fire marshal and insurance inspector but fire started in general area. My reason for writing this will be to maybe get have you ready if this happens to you. this is a list of things my better half came up with at this present time.
1. Make a video of the rooms of your house every couple of years and store it on the cloud where you can get to it. ( we did not and wish we had)
2. Use Lastpass for your online passwords, but do not forget your password and be prepared to spend time getting them to recognize you on a new device.
3. Put your passports in the safe where they belong and not out on the desk- even if you are planning to use them in the next few weeks. (yep had to get new passports)
4. People are good and kind and will help you, despite how crazy the world may seem at times. Be willing to accept help when you need it
5. My husband is amazing in the middle of a crisis. He is clear headed and takes action. ( I. am. not.)
6. I am great at dealing with insurance, passwords, etc. AFTER a crisis. (hubby. is. not)
7. Kids/teenagers are amazingly resilient.
8. Review your insurance policy and carrier periodically and make sure your coverage is appropriate. (we did and are so glad). Many thanks to our awesome Financial Advisor!
9. Join a small group in your church-otherwise the church can't figure out how to help you.
10. Chick-fil-A and Landmark Christian School have the BEST people on earth. I love both organizations!
11. We have the most amazing friends who have come to our aid in so many ways- taking days off work, doing laundry, staying with Amanda the night of the fire and giving us a place to stay the night of the fire and then nights afterward, bringing food, gift cards, coffee pots..... the list goes on. We love you all!
12. Losing your house absolutely stinks, but it is just a house and it isn't the same as losing someone you love.
13. You do not need 100's of pairs of shoes to be happy, but they sure are fun and it is sad when they are gone. (some of my clothes survived but sadly my shoes did not).
14. Home really is where you family ( and your dog) is!
15. God is good and He will sustain you through the good times and the bad. If you don't know Him ask me and I'll tell you more.
I was able to salvage most of my guns from my safes but my reloading room took the worst hit. Make sure that your powder is in metal cabinets and all your reloading tools are cabinets and or drawers. Fighting the fire from top of house scattered powder, bullets, reloading dies, and tools from one end to the to the other.
Do not have anything laying around that you don't want to walk off from people that are suppose to be protecting us. Most are honest but some are not.
It looks like I will be able to replace most of my reloading supplies but not knowing all I had hurts.
I hope that this helps all.

Glad you and the Family are safe. One of the last things we as Fire Fighter want to hear is theirs somebody inside! Yes God is good ALL the time. We just need to be willing to see his hand in the disasters that happen.

Sorry abut your losses. Fighting a fire that got lots of powder and loaded ammo can be interesting. We had a fire and there were bullets going off and bouncing off things in the building.

Sounds like your wife has a good attitude about earthly possessions.. They are here one day and gone the next. One day everything we own will do us no good. In other words. Its not lasting.

Again glad you all are safe!

If you need help with anything feel free to ask.

Three weeks ago my family and I lost our house to a fire that started in the attic from HVAC or fire place. Different conclusion from fire marshal and insurance inspector but fire started in general area. My reason for writing this will be to maybe get have you ready if this happens to you. this is a list of things my better half came up with at this present time.
1. Make a video of the rooms of your house every couple of years and store it on the cloud where you can get to it. ( we did not and wish we had)
2. Use Lastpass for your online passwords, but do not forget your password and be prepared to spend time getting them to recognize you on a new device.
3. Put your passports in the safe where they belong and not out on the desk- even if you are planning to use them in the next few weeks. (yep had to get new passports)
4. People are good and kind and will help you, despite how crazy the world may seem at times. Be willing to accept help when you need it
5. My husband is amazing in the middle of a crisis. He is clear headed and takes action. ( I. am. not.)
6. I am great at dealing with insurance, passwords, etc. AFTER a crisis. (hubby. is. not)
7. Kids/teenagers are amazingly resilient.
8. Review your insurance policy and carrier periodically and make sure your coverage is appropriate. (we did and are so glad). Many thanks to our awesome Financial Advisor!
9. Join a small group in your church-otherwise the church can't figure out how to help you.
10. Chick-fil-A and Landmark Christian School have the BEST people on earth. I love both organizations!
11. We have the most amazing friends who have come to our aid in so many ways- taking days off work, doing laundry, staying with Amanda the night of the fire and giving us a place to stay the night of the fire and then nights afterward, bringing food, gift cards, coffee pots..... the list goes on. We love you all!
12. Losing your house absolutely stinks, but it is just a house and it isn't the same as losing someone you love.
13. You do not need 100's of pairs of shoes to be happy, but they sure are fun and it is sad when they are gone. (some of my clothes survived but sadly my shoes did not).
14. Home really is where you family ( and your dog) is!
15. God is good and He will sustain you through the good times and the bad. If you don't know Him ask me and I'll tell you more.
I was able to salvage most of my guns from my safes but my reloading room took the worst hit. Make sure that your powder is in metal cabinets and all your reloading tools are cabinets and or drawers. Fighting the fire from top of house scattered powder, bullets, reloading dies, and tools from one end to the to the other.
Do not have anything laying around that you don't want to walk off from people that are suppose to be protecting us. Most are honest but some are not.
It looks like I will be able to replace most of my reloading supplies but not knowing all I had hurts.
I hope that this helps all.
IN OUR PRAYERS,AMEN. Understand went thur it at 12yrs old (was odd letting people help you and family,grew up work for the things you need)

I am very sorry to read about your loss. I am more sorry that there are those in our public service professions who disgrace/dishonor their badges and oaths by taking advantage of such horrible circumstances. Shoot me a pm if I can help...

Look at exactly what your insurance policy says, particularily with collectibles, guns, reloading etc. do not be afraid to call or visit your state insurance commisioners office. They are your friend actually, they can light a fire under the insurance company. Look at how "replacement" works in your policy and state. Some states policies only give you 180 days from the date of the fire to replace everything. Many companies give you depreciated value first, then you go buy the item, send them the receipt AND then they pay the diffeence. Now figure $150K contents and you get $50K to buy $150K. Now the hard part starts, you are going to normally need a line by line, item by item inventory to turn in for every fork, spoon, sock, tie, pair of underwear, belt, shoes, shirt, pants etc. Gather every picture you can of anywhere in the house to show chairs, paintings, tables, couches etc, you will need them. I went thru the exact same thing in 94

When you keep records of things of your house do not store them in your house. We now have a file cabinet at a storage facility. That way you don't loose to fire or water damage. Again BountyHunter is right know your policy from front to back.

I am very sorry to read about your loss. I am more sorry that there are those in our public service professions who disgrace/dishonor their badges and oaths by taking advantage of such horrible circumstances. Shoot me a pm if I can help...
Situation has been taken care of. Just would not want to be in the individuals shoes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.