Best whole house generator?

I'm getting one next month. I researched them quite a bit. I decided on the Kohler or the Cummins Onan. I would NOT consider a Generac! A close friend, who builds "off the grid" homes, has had several clients buy Generac's and have had horrible warranty and customer service issues. My electrician has worked with a company that specializes in whole house generators. They recommend the Kohler over the Onan because of parts availability. So that's what I'll go with. Call your electric company, and they will give you a printout on max power usage for the last three years. The company that sells the generators, and your electrician will use that to recommend the generator output.

Good luck with your project!
Just wanted to add: Aurora Power and Design quoted me a price of $8353.42, plus sales tax of $80.07, and a "startup and test" for full Kohler warranty of $152.25. That is for the 20 KW Kohler generator, which they recommended. I said why don't we get the next size up in power output. They said these generators need to work, and overkill on size/output is actually counterproductive. With my MAX usage of 10KW, three times in three years, the 20 KW generator is perfect! So, I'm trusting the professionals.

Sorry, I was wrong! The quote was $8001.17. That includes the Kohler 20RCA generator, the Kohler 200A Transfer Switch Service Entrance, the Kohler Carb Heater, and the 12v Starting Battery. Tax is $480.07, and startup and test is $152.25. Total is $8633.49. I also pay for gas line and installation. But, I trust my plumber and electrician!

Just wanted to add: Aurora Power and Design quoted me a price of $8353.42, plus sales tax of $80.07, and a "startup and test" for full Kohler warranty of $152.25. That is for the 20 KW Kohler generator, which they recommended. I said why don't we get the next size up in power output. They said these generators need to work, and overkill on size/output is actually counterproductive. With my MAX usage of 10KW, three times in three years, the 20 KW generator is perfect! So, I'm trusting the professionals.

I'm just curious - with your max consumption only 10KW 3x in 3 years; why did they recommend a 20kw generator? Wouldn't a smaller generator make more sense and be more cost effective?

I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the logic because I'm interested in a whole house generator to replace my portables.

I wish I could get a generator that ran off heating oil. My house has that now with a ac unit. Needs electric updated to a 200 Amp service to get a heat /ac unit. But I could then use old oil tank to power generator. Or leave it and use oil to power both heat and generator.

I wish I could get a generator that ran off heating oil. My house has that now with a ac unit. Needs electric updated to a 200 Amp service to get a heat /ac unit. But I could then use old oil tank to power generator. Or leave it and use oil to power both heat and generator.
I would check with Cummins, Kubota and see ifone of their diesels will run on heating oil. The old ones would, not sure about new diesels. #2 heating oil and Diesel are basically the same stuff.

Info that may help.

Kerosene

This is the lightest fuel oil for home heating. It is made by refining #1 fuel oil and filtering impurities. The result is a much cleaner burn so it's safe for indoor use. The liquid has a lower viscosity and boiling point. Kerosene is often used to power portable heat sources outdoors. It can also be used indoors if there is no furnace installed such as in new construction sites. Many rely on kerosene during power blackouts and camping trips. Kerosene lamps can provide light that lasts for a long time. Some of these lamps have beautiful designs and odor suppressors.

Call Today: (410) 876-6800

2. #1 Fuel Oil

Since kerosene is derived from #1 fuel oil, we can expect many similarities between the two. Since the latter has less processing, it is a bit heavier with higher viscosity and more impurities. It is often used as an energy source for portable heaters and outdoor stoves. Since it does not produce a clean burn, it should not be used for indoor applications. The exhaust fumes can be harmful to those who breathe them in. Outside, the impurities are diluted in the air so it does not cause as much harm.

3. Diesel Fuel

image of diesel fuel pump

This should be familiar to most people since it is widely available across the country in fuel pumps. There is untaxed diesel fuel that is recognizable with its red dye. This is typically used for construction machines and other off-road vehicles. Its low sulfur content is deemed as eco-friendly. On the other hand, taxed diesel remains undyed but has a natural light green tone. This is the fuel used for cars and trucks on public roads. The only real difference is the higher price. As for home heating applications, diesel can be mixed with #1 fuel oil to minimize sludge formation during cold months. However, it is best to discuss this with a heating expert beforehand.

Learn More About Our Heating Oil Delivery ServicesCall To Schedule A Heating Oil Delivery

4. #2 Fuel Oil

image of a heating oil boiler

Diesel fuel and #2 fuel oil are virtually the same fuel in terms of chemical composition. The main difference lies in their intended use. #2 fuel oil enjoys a tax-free status to keep prices low and help people heat their homes. This is an essential need in winter, after all. It goes into boilers and furnaces instead of cars. It even has the same red dye as in untaxed diesel fuel. Many refer to this fuel oil as home heating oil because of its designated application.

You can find #2 fuel oil mixed with #1 fuel oil for lower viscosity and greater furnace efficiency. Some companies refer to this as the kerosene mix or the home heating oil winter blend.

Given the similarities between these two types of fuel, it is possible to use them interchangeably in theory. However, there are reasons why people don't generally do this in practice. If you ever run out of fuel for your furnace and deliveries are delayed, then you can go to a pump and purchase diesel as an alternative. It's impractical for long-term use since diesel is more expensive than N#2 fuel oil but it may be worth it during emergencies.

The reverse, putting #2 fuel oil in a diesel car, should never be done. It is illegal because of the tax regulations. If you get pulled over and cops see that you are using the red-dyed fuel, then you may face charges. Adhere to the law and use each product for its intended applications.

I believe several generators are diesel. I'm sure Onan (Cummins), and CAT make them. That is not an option for me because I'd have to put in a storage tank.

I would check with Cummins, Kubota and see ifone of their diesels will run on heating oil. The old ones would, not sure about new diesels. #2 heating oil and Diesel are basically the same stuff.

Info that may help.

Kerosene

This is the lightest fuel oil for home heating. It is made by refining #1 fuel oil and filtering impurities. The result is a much cleaner burn so it's safe for indoor use. The liquid has a lower viscosity and boiling point. Kerosene is often used to power portable heat sources outdoors. It can also be used indoors if there is no furnace installed such as in new construction sites. Many rely on kerosene during power blackouts and camping trips. Kerosene lamps can provide light that lasts for a long time. Some of these lamps have beautiful designs and odor suppressors.

Call Today: (410) 876-6800

2. #1 Fuel Oil

Since kerosene is derived from #1 fuel oil, we can expect many similarities between the two. Since the latter has less processing, it is a bit heavier with higher viscosity and more impurities. It is often used as an energy source for portable heaters and outdoor stoves. Since it does not produce a clean burn, it should not be used for indoor applications. The exhaust fumes can be harmful to those who breathe them in. Outside, the impurities are diluted in the air so it does not cause as much harm.

3. Diesel Fuel

image of diesel fuel pump

This should be familiar to most people since it is widely available across the country in fuel pumps. There is untaxed diesel fuel that is recognizable with its red dye. This is typically used for construction machines and other off-road vehicles. Its low sulfur content is deemed as eco-friendly. On the other hand, taxed diesel remains undyed but has a natural light green tone. This is the fuel used for cars and trucks on public roads. The only real difference is the higher price. As for home heating applications, diesel can be mixed with #1 fuel oil to minimize sludge formation during cold months. However, it is best to discuss this with a heating expert beforehand.

Learn More About Our Heating Oil Delivery ServicesCall To Schedule A Heating Oil Delivery

4. #2 Fuel Oil

image of a heating oil boiler

Diesel fuel and #2 fuel oil are virtually the same fuel in terms of chemical composition. The main difference lies in their intended use. #2 fuel oil enjoys a tax-free status to keep prices low and help people heat their homes. This is an essential need in winter, after all. It goes into boilers and furnaces instead of cars. It even has the same red dye as in untaxed diesel fuel. Many refer to this fuel oil as home heating oil because of its designated application.

You can find #2 fuel oil mixed with #1 fuel oil for lower viscosity and greater furnace efficiency. Some companies refer to this as the kerosene mix or the home heating oil winter blend.

Given the similarities between these two types of fuel, it is possible to use them interchangeably in theory. However, there are reasons why people don't generally do this in practice. If you ever run out of fuel for your furnace and deliveries are delayed, then you can go to a pump and purchase diesel as an alternative. It's impractical for long-term use since diesel is more expensive than N#2 fuel oil but it may be worth it during emergencies.

The reverse, putting #2 fuel oil in a diesel car, should never be done. It is illegal because of the tax regulations. If you get pulled over and cops see that you are using the red-dyed fuel, then you may face charges. Adhere to the law and use each product for its intended applications.
I will call Cummings and Kubota. But when I googled before nothing came up. I thought I'd throw it out there and see. Thanks

I have a portable 5500kw generator powered by a Yamaha gasoline engine. I'm probably a low consumption customer because I ran the entire house on it without issue. However, I was not running central air or the hot tub. I've got to check with the power company and see what my peak use is.

I also have a 2k Honda portable. I have that just to run my two large sump pumps in case everything else fails. During hurricane Sandy, we had water over the roof of the car. Most homes had water over the beds. I had water but 95% of it was discharged almost as fast as it entered.

IMO - every home should have some sort of electric generation.