Hornady 6.5 max die splitting

I would agree, camming over isn't really necessary most of the time. I set the die up so it barely touches the shell holder, thickness of a piece of paper. I can't imagine how much force it takes to crack a die like that. Hope things work out. Looks like you got some really good information here.

I am reloading for 6.5 sherman max using brass I bought from Rich which I believe is ADG with Hornady FL die I have split 2 dies need help trying to determine what is wrong if I am doing something wrong talked to Hornady rep he said he pulled some dies from inventory and check dimensions said everything checked out he is sending me a new die again.
Would love to know what Rockwell hardness on the C scale that die is coming in at. No properly heat treated steel die should ever crack working brass, even hardened brass. Makes me wonder if a batch of dies went through the initial heat treatment and never got drawn back to proper temper?

I forget which dies that the instructions called for camming over, it might have been the RCBS X Die. And the Lee Hand Held press might have called for it also, but that's because the press has some flex to it. Most table top presses are pretty stiff. In most cases, like the others have said, camming over is not necessary.

I used to cam over on my RCBS Rock Chucker press to bump shoulders back .002 but now I don't as I get better shoulder bump with Redding Body Dies.
Weatherby brass was almost impossible to get consistent bump with regular Full Length Sizing dies and the Redding Body Dies fixed all that.
If you are working on consistent shoulder bump try the Redding Body Dies.

You measured your fired case.....now measure one in the same place after sizing. What is the difference in size?
My guess is that there was a heat treat problem or a material flaw (inclusion) on that run of dies.

Last edited:
Chamber sounds a bit big, or the die is on the tight side, but I haven't found the specs yet for it. I usually like .001-.002 clearance after resizing at the base.

I am reloading for 6.5 sherman max using brass I bought from Rich which I believe is ADG with Hornady FL die I have split 2 dies need help trying to determine what is wrong if I am doing something wrong talked to Hornady rep he said he pulled some dies from inventory and check dimensions said everything checked out he is sending me a new die again.
I've never heard of doing that before

One Shot is good stuff. Why are you camming over? Is it necessary for the resized brass to chamber?

Camming over may be your problem. If you have to do that to chamber the brass the headspace is tight. Two shade tree mechanic solutions are to grind the bottom of the die down or grind your shell holder.

I've had to do that on a .280AI and 6.5-284 FL dies. The end result worked out perfectly.
If I had to grind anything which I have never had to do yet it would be the shell holder they are cheap and easily replaced