Hornady A-max 168gr.

300shooter

With all this on the SST's I was wondering if anyone has used the A-max bullet in the 168gr. 30 Cal. I have this bullet loaded in my 300 Winny and was wondoering if anyone has used them on Game ??

Any help on this would be great.

300shooter

They are very accurate and quite devastating on everything from groundhogs to whitetail. Have you considered the 178's? Nearly identical trajectory with a little more smack downrange, especially with your 300. Just food for thought.

I have burned out a couple of 300 win barrels shooting the 178 a max. I do shoot the 168 a max but most of them have been loaded for .308. Both bullets shoot great but I prefer the 178 in the 300. Either way they will make a good long range hunting bullet.

Don't know what kind of game you are shooting but here in the Texas Hill Country our deer weigh under 120 avg. and hogs are around 150. I was using 168SMK for all my game shots but switched to the 168AMax. Not shooting a 300 but an 06, and a 308. The 168 is a proven game killer with devastating destruction on thin skined game. Have no idea what it would do on something heavy or armored. Accuracy wise it is in line with the SMK.

I've shot game with the 155 , 168 and 178 gr A-max out of both a 308 and a 300Win mmag , all bullets shot very well and performed very well on thin skinned game. The are a little more fragile than the SMK or SST but I have never had a problem with game going anywere after the shot , the 155gr out of a 26" barreld 300Win mag did not exit 2 out of three times on deer in the 140lb range

In the 300 I would recomend either the 155 or 178 , the 168 shoot and react great but they have a poor BC of the three.
the 178 out of a 300Win will get you on target out to 1200yds , on deer I'd probably shoot to 1k with that load

Been using the 155gr A-Max bullets (3330fps)for a couple years now in my 300 WinMag.Devastating is a good word for it. Works like a charm on the smallish Southern Whitetails.

i've heard a couple fellows talking about shooting the 208 A-max. for long range it would probably work better with a 300winny.

Well, for most of us, were limited to the 178g as the 208g is not in production. I have some of the 208g AMAX and was intending to shoot them out of my 300 RUM, but I got rid of it. I could still try them out in my dads 300 RUM though, just haven't got around to it...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts