Hornady max loads

gamhuntr

I have started loading the 162 gr amax in a 7mm rem. Mag using fed 215 primers and h4831. The rifle is a rem 700. The hornady manual has 59.7 listed as the max load. The hodgdon website list the max at 64 gr. In my opinion that is a huge difference. I have noticed that hornady maxes are usually lower than other companies comparing bullets of the same weight and same powder. I worked up to 59.7 and did not see any pressure signs. I'm only getting 2675 fps out of the 59.7 load. Should I keep working up since the hodgden numbers are significantly higher?

1. Pressure signs are what you should be concerned about. If you're not having signs of excess pressure, you can increase the load.

2. The velocity you're getting is pretty imprecise in indicating what pressure the load generates. I never use a chronograph in load workup since it just confuses things.

3. In load workup, generally groups tighten up to a certain point as the load is increased and then start to widen again. I stop increasing the load where the group is the tightest irrespective of whether or not I've reached an allegedly maximum load.

1. Pressure signs are what you should be concerned about. If you're not having signs of excess pressure, you can increase the load.

2. The velocity you're getting is pretty imprecise in indicating what pressure the load generates. I never use a chronograph in load workup since it just confuses things.

3. In load workup, generally groups tighten up to a certain point as the load is increased and then start to widen again. I stop increasing the load where the group is the tightest irrespective of whether or not I've reached an allegedly maximum load.

Number 1 and number 3 nailed it. I here ya on number 2, but gotta dissagree somewhat. A chronny can be very usefull in some cases while working up loads. But I do whole heartedly aggree on shooting for groups not velocity and watching for pressure signs it how I always did it before I got a chronny.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.