Max loads

mnhntr

Just wondering how many of you go beyond published max when developing a load. I was trying out some loads and never went above, but right to max with two powders. There were NO signs of high pressure.

It's not any more uncommon to exceed a published max loads before showing signs of pressure than it is to show pressure before reaching published max loads. Manuals are just a very good guideline, a place to start.

Rifles are like women, they all have different personalities, what one will let you get away with the next will have no part of.:D

I have a 300 wm that I can't comfortably get to the listed max with Re-22, but velocities are right in the listed ballpark so I stop there. I also have a 7-08 that quickload says should explode when loaded to show pressure signs. I load this one to the point velocities are in line with the manuals, but that's still a couple grains over the listed max charge.

Just go slow when exceeding published max loads and pay very close attention to what your rifle is telling you.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I am a new reloader when it comes to rifle rounds. I have always loaded for my handguns which is a little different but not that much. I respect the manuals but was watching a show where they loaded to pressure signs and velocities instead of the published max.

"Just wondering how many of you go beyond published max when developing a load."

I have no idea how many of us do anything and I don't care a whit what others do. Nor does it matter what I do but IF I ever exceeded book max I would NEVER say so on the web.
lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts