Home-Made PM2 BDC result

Brown Dog

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but I thought I'd just share with you all this homemade BDC idea.

'Field Tested' it this morning shooting 2 yearling bucks.

Being able to go straight from LRF to dialling the turret –without having to refer to my comeup chart- massively increased my speed of engagement. Very satisfying.

It's simply a printout from a Word document, printed at a scale ratio to match the turret marks, then covered in waterproof tape. The Mk2 version will see it printed on waterproof paper.

I'm extremely pleased with the result of this extremely simple mod and thoroughly recommend it!

very smart indeed my beige poodle friend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
gonna have to do me some of those for my own sticks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did that for my VXIII but it wrapped all the way around and had 3 levels to represent the 3 rotations of come-ups. Worked quite nicely. When I settle on a new load I may very well do it again. I made it in Xcell and used "small fonts". This let me angle the numbers slightly and add color to the different levels.

What would be the cats meow is if someone made custom engraved turrets so I could take my hunting turret off and put on my varmint turret for a different bullet and velocity. Oh baby!!!

Only problem with those custom emgraved turrets is that after you get out there a bit, the variables start stacking up so as to make them useless. Differances in temp, barometric pressure, altitude (anything that effects air density), shooting uphill/downhill ect are all contributors. That being said, for good ways out there, say 600-1000 depending on your BC/MV and your origional zero distance this is the best way to do it. My 243 is set up exactly this way. 0-600yds in a single twist. Mine is not nearly as spiffy as Brown Dog's. Maybe ill spend some time on the computer in the morning whipping up a new one.

Oi Nowler, less of the 'beige poodle':

-the lad doesn't like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just spent the morning out and about trying to recreate yesterday's success. Sunny with a 15-19mph gusting wind. Managed to crawl in to 240m of 2 couched yearlings and 1 mature buck. With the wind, I wasn't happy to go for head / neck so lay there shouting and whistling to get them to stand. After about a minute of this, the buggers suddenly went from couched to 60mph in 0 seconds. No chance of a shot at all. Frustrating after a good stalk!

If anyone wants me to email them the basic word document I created [to save themselves effort in messing around with fonts, drawing and other computer naus] I'd be more than happy to do so.

Brown Dog, the freebee blank turret is on its way to you this week ok. Ive been marking my turrets like that for years, but as i have an engraving maschine mine are permanent- (Matt I'll engrave yours if you like).
therare no down sides to this type of BDC, if you need to adjuste for angle( as the ACI tells you to do) instead of using less clicks you simply use less corresponding range. and if realy nessecary,, you still have the .2 miliradians engraved and can cound the clicks etc..
Looks good Brown Dog..
I see tzhe big groups of Roe ( 16+) splitting up ow herenow here,, seeing a mature buck, a doe, 2 last years kids and a imature buck in 1 group, then a 3-4 year old buck alone, then another family group,, the territory marking started this week.
season starts here May 1st..
Pete

BrownDog,

Would you explain in detail how the numbers work? Did you use a ballistic program? How close was it to actual comeups?

Thanks.

BTW, If you do not mind, I may try the same thing. That looks faster than looking at the side of my rifle.

Brown Dog

Send me the program at the email below after deleting the "xx"s

[email protected]

4kd hron & ABINOK
if you improve yours would you send it to me also. I anticipate that that some programs will be easier to modiffy than others

Hope to modify it to fit a Stoney Point knob on a Luepold

Thanks

Buffalobob,

I'm English, I'm a bit confused by your American english, does

[ QUOTE ]
Brown Dog

Send me the program at the email below after deleting the "xx"s

[/ QUOTE ]
mean the same as

[ QUOTE ]
Brown Dog

I'd be very grateful if you would be kind enough to send me a copy of the program at the email below after deleting the "xx"s

[/ QUOTE ] ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-It's sent.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.