Home-Made PM2 BDC result

Im not a beer drinker, so I don't have any cans to compare, but coke (um... dr pepper) cans are usually .004". im betting beer cans are the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have consulted a number of knowledgeable shooters on this very seriuos matter and here is what I found.

Shims made from Dr Pepper cans have traces of sugar and caffiene and causes the scope to be jittery and not settle down.

Shims made from Bud light cans causes bullets to weave back and forth erratically and sometimes hit other peoples target.

Shims made from caffiene free diet coke are believed to work best although there is a fringe element that prefers Pepsi.

On a real note:

I expect to have to shim one of my scopes in the next two or three weeks. What technique do you use to smooth the cut edge on the shim? I can think of a couple such as putting it on the anvil and gently hammering along the edges or maybe a dremel or some sandpaper.

It is being beamed across space and time at this very instant. Remember this has been scaled for Leupold VXIII target turrets so It may require some adjusting for your scope.

How thick of shims do you need? I can buy shims for "shimming" a lock that are .001" thick and they are fairly cheap. They even have a slight curve to them already to make them stiffer and easier to handle. If this thickness is what you need you can probably get some at your local locksmith (not Home Depot or Ace hardware) for pennies a piece. Or let me know and I can mail you some.

[ QUOTE ]
I have consulted a number of knowledgeable shooters on this very seriuos matter and here is what I found.

Shims made from Dr Pepper cans have traces of sugar and caffiene and causes the scope to be jittery and not settle down.

Shims made from Bud light cans causes bullets to weave back and forth erratically and sometimes hit other peoples target.

Shims made from caffiene free diet coke are believed to work best although there is a fringe element that prefers Pepsi.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should try redbull? its my understanding it "gives you wings" that should make my rifle lighter right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
On that real note of yours, its not really an issue, just use sharp scissors to cut them. ive never had a problem in making shims for mine... and that aluminum is really thin, if there was very much of the shim that wasnt smooth, im betting the base screws will take care of it nicely.

I do not know yet how much I will need to shim. I put that scope (Lyman all american 8X )on my 17 Rem 30 years ago and it has never been off. For 500 yards I will be dialing up about 10 MOA and I may or may not have it available. I am not going to fool with it until I get to the range because I am not comfortable that the scope is going to resettle back to zero and I want to be able to shoot it back in if it is not going to repeat. Also need to run a box on it. All that is OK because I have a 100 rds of new brass that needs to be be shot once. All of the fooling around with the scope will give me an excuse to shoot the new brass then I can turn the necks a little and neck size it so it fits my warped chamber.

Same exercise has to be run on another gun to see what elevation I got left to work with.

On the one gun that that I have that was set up long ago to shoot to 1200 yards I am not going to admit on line as to how I shimmed it. However, if you ever read Nat'l Geographic you will notice that they have nice thick high quality covers. I know lots of tricks about what not to do to a gun.

Now you got me thinking about what I have in the garage in the way of shims. But aluminum cans are easy and plentiful.

[ QUOTE ]
But aluminum cans are easy and plentiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as long as the shim is not compressable.

EASY solution- Slip into a good old fashioned car parts store and buy a set of long bladed feeler guages - like the ones mechanics use for measuring VALVE adjustments etc- SPRING-SHIM STEEL - And all sorts of sizes in one convenient CHEAP pack.

Dear Mr. Brown Dog

I'd be very grateful if you would be kind enough to send me a copy of the program at the email below. That is if you still come back to this site to monitor requests.
Request sumbitted 6/09/05.

[email protected]

Gratefully yours,
Vic

Just a thought..Or a I just did this. I used bumper sticker paper to print these out on. Thought I'd give it a try. Seems to work well...somewhat waterproof...No need for paper and tape. Just print it and stick it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.