Hogs in west tn.

I may be in the minority on this, but I enjoy having a healthy population of hogs. I'm at a stage in my life where it's all about the kids. Gettin kids involved in hunting. And kids love action. They can shoot a hog every time they see one. Not so much with deer and turkey. So if there's plenty of hogs, that means plenty of targets…..year round. And if their population gets a little to high, my circle and I along with our thermal equipment can decimate, or practically eliminate, if we so choose, the local population.
Win. Win.

I may be in the minority on this, but I enjoy having a healthy population of hogs. I'm at a stage in my life where it's all about the kids. Gettin kids involved in hunting. And kids love action. They can shoot a hog every time they see one. Not so much with deer and turkey. So if there's plenty of hogs, that means plenty of targets…..year round. And if their population gets a little to high, my circle and I along with our thermal equipment can decimate, or practically eliminate, if we so choose, the local population.
Win. Win.
The rest of us get tired of cleaning and eating them even though in my opinion they taste better than store bought. Getting to where I don't even like pork anymore.

No, not that mad at them or anything else anymore. That's for someone else to deal with. 1 or2 will do it for me nowadays. Getting too old guys.
When I was very young, we had zero hogs. I remember the first few that showed up. The land owner made a big NO HOG HUNTING sign. They were a novelty at that point. As the years passed everyone realized that was a mistake. Most people(including me) were like you at some point. Only killed what we could use. As time went by, attitudes changed. Now, I'd say that every outdoorsman, in this and surrounding counties, kill every hog that they have the chance to. Year round.
I can tell you when my mercy for hogs left me. It was one of the big floods about 10-12 years ago. The Mississippi delta was pretty much covered. Only levees left. 1600 hogs in a bout 4 hours died. I felt bad about it, but it was ordered. Flood waters receded and within weeks the hog population seemed as if nothing had changed.

So imagine going into your corn crib with a daisy BB gun, and only killing the rats you can use.

When I was very young, we had zero hogs. I remember the first few that showed up. The land owner made a big NO HOG HUNTING sign. They were a novelty at that point. As the years passed everyone realized that was a mistake. Most people(including me) were like you at some point. Only killed what we could use. As time went by, attitudes changed. Now, I'd say that every outdoorsman, in this and surrounding counties, kill every hog that they have the chance to. Year round.
I can tell you when my mercy for hogs left me. It was one of the big floods about 10-12 years ago. The Mississippi delta was pretty much covered. Only levees left. 1600 hogs in a bout 4 hours died. I felt bad about it, but it was ordered. Flood waters receded and within weeks the hog population seemed as if nothing had changed.

So imagine going into your corn crib with a daisy BB gun, and only killing the rats you can use.
No, really you missed what I was saying. I'm just not mad enough at them to kill them in the first place anymore unless for the freezer. I've killed so much in my life it just isn't there anymore. I let deer walk constantly just because I don't want to load it, clean and butcher it. I will get in a stand and just enjoy the show. Ducks and geese I still shoot, the kids don't mind cleaning them and they beg me to cook them. Believe me I've killed my share and a whole lot of other folks' share too. I'm almost 64 years old and tired. I'm getting to where I'd just assume shoot clay birds and steel. Just as satisfying anymore and when you put the guns up, you're done. You kill all you want.

Hogs get no sympathy from me and bears are the same.
I still can kill about anything but enjoy the "show of animals playing" a lot more now than when I was younger.I killed my first deer at 7 years old as our family needed meat badly so I did the deal.Did not know how to skin it so I cut the throat and went to a friends house and got him to help me.I have fed deer out of my hands and had skunks climb up in my lap to be petted.So I don't kill for the fun of killing,I kill for food for the freezer.

Wait until they destroy your planted fields. You'll go full auto. I was talking to a Ranger about hog hunting, who asked me if I kept the meat or left them lying. Either way is OK, just shoot all you want.

The rest of us get tired of cleaning and eating them even though in my opinion they taste better than store bought. Getting to where I don't even like pork anymore.
Most places have plenty of food donation options, help someone out. And also on that point there are plenty of folks out there that don't have those opportunities that would love to have the opportunity to hunt. You could probably help our shooting and hunting industry by introducing others to this sport. I guaranty you'll get even more out of it than them, I always have.

Most places have plenty of food donation options, help someone out. And also on that point there are plenty of folks out there that don't have those opportunities that would love to have the opportunity to hunt. You could probably help our shooting and hunting industry by introducing others to this sport. I guaranty you'll get even more out of it than them, I always have.
Not allowed around here for hogs. Only deer and they are very strict about the rules for those. Shame too! Hog Lobby???? Chinese???? Maybe some Senator is all in on pork bellies,l and has to keep the price up???? None of us will ever know.
Ya Know, on second thought it might simply be that they don't want anyone to find out we could do good and help people with guns. Wow, that would be a shocker if it got out.

People have said they have been spotted in the Big Sandy area which is on the other side of the lake and less than 10 miles from my place as the crow flies. This is unconfirmed and just rumors. The thing that confuses me is that they are obviously well established in LBL based on the simple fact that the feds are trying to trap them and yet I don't hear much about the surrounding privately owned areas. Seems like in place in GA, they just showed up and never went away.
Plenty of big ones on the east side of the river!