Hogs in west tn.

JimFromTN

I was at my local john deere dealership and a salesman had this sitting next to his desk. He said he found it in the land between the lakes area last weekend. He also said there were live traps put out by the feds. He said people told him the hog probably was not very big. I am thinking it was pushing close to 300 lbs. I have a skull from a 240 pounder and this one is a little bigger not to mention the tusk holes in the lower jaw are at least 3/4 inch in diameter. I maybe off but I don't think by much. My property is about 10 miles on the other side of the tn river . If they learn to cross bridges, I maybe in trouble

Attachments

• 20220328_133502.jpg
    20220328_133502.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 301
Last edited:
I was at my local john deere dealership and a salesman had this sitting next to his desk. He said he found it in the land between the lakes area last weekend. He also said there were live traps put out by the feds. He said people told him the hog probably was not very big. I am thinking it was pushing close to 300 lbs. I have a skull from a 240 pounder and this one is a little bigger not to mention the tusk holes in the lower jaw are at least 3/4 inch in diameter. I maybe off but I don't think by much. My property is about 10 miles on the other side of the tn river . If they learn to cross bridges, I maybe in trouble
Hogs like to swim

And so it starts. I'm so sorry for you. LBL is in some beautiful country. When I killed the first hog on our old lease it was a novelty and everyone was inmressed. In 10 years there were no longer huntable numbers of deer, turkeys or even squirrels. Plenty of hogs though.

Shoot every hog and coyote you can. That's my mode of operation. It might lessen your chances of success of seeing a deer on that particular hunt, but will be a net improvement on future hunts.
Hopefully the cover is thin enough that you can keep them somewhat knocked back with hunting, trapping and dogs. You cannot in the thick cover in South Arkansas. The good news is if not allowed today, night hunting soon will. game and fish will all of a sudden trust you not to shoot deer at night. You will get to hunt with centerfires, and get to buy all kinds of really cool and expensive toys with thermal imaging and night vision. Your wives will threaten to leave you if they don't hunt too. Now you can enjoy your sport 24/7/364... we don't kill anything on Christmas. Hard rule. You, your family and all your friends will get sick of eating pork. Absolutely hate it for you. This is at least as bad as our brothers up North have it with wolves.

And so it starts. I'm so sorry for you. LBL is in some beautiful country. When I killed the first hog on our old lease it was a novelty and everyone was inmressed. In 10 years there were no longer huntable numbers of deer, turkeys or even squirrels. Plenty of hogs though.
Sounds like they are pretty well established in lbl. I have always thought it would be great if I could kill both deer and hogs on my property but worried about the long term effects. I don't buy much meat at the store and if I could be guaranteed a couple hogs a year, I would probably only ever buy the occasional chicken.

Sounds like they are pretty well established in lbl. I have always thought it would be great if I could kill both deer and hogs on my property but worried about the long term effects. I don't buy much meat at the store and if I could be guaranteed a couple hogs a year, I would probably only ever buy the occasional chicken.
Me too. I thought it was really cool at first. Taste better than store bought pork. Kill a couple of them, couple of deer, a turkey and some squirrels, great for freezer. Then, suddenly there were no more turkeys to hunt. Then no squirrels. Armadillos, opossums, racoons all gone. No more deer. They used to kill 150 whitetails a year on that lease, 25-30 turkeys and countless squirrels and other small game. Now they kill 4-5 deer and a couple hundred hogs. Nothing else.

I'm confused about the deer correlation.

Texas is overrun with hogs and deer in the same locations, and while I understand they are eating many of the same foods, to say that hogs will knock deer populations down doesn't make much sense to me.

People have said they have been spotted in the Big Sandy area which is on the other side of the lake and less than 10 miles from my place as the crow flies. This is unconfirmed and just rumors. The thing that confuses me is that they are obviously well established in LBL based on the simple fact that the feds are trying to trap them and yet I don't hear much about the surrounding privately owned areas. Seems like in place in GA, they just showed up and never went away.

I'm confused about the deer correlation.

Texas is overrun with hogs and deer in the same locations, and while I understand they are eating many of the same foods, to say that hogs will knock deer populations down doesn't make much sense to me.
They catch and eat fawns. Deer will leave an area if they can get away from them. They will wait at the base of an oak a whole day to ambush a squirrel coming down it. They are opportunistic and pretty good predators. They don't have any real predation when grown other than man. They can have 3-4 liters a year and population explodes.