high buck brass vs cheaper

But just remember better brass means more consistency which plays a big part into accuracy
I'm not sure I'd say Norma is high dollar brass. Alpha, Lapua, ADG, Peterson are where I'd look for good brass. The consistency is better, so is the brass life as those are thicker brass.
My choice, in order (if they make the cartridge of choice):
1. Lapua
2. Alpha
3. ADG
4. Peterson
5. Remington
6. Bertram
7. Nosler/Norma

1. RWS (when I can find it...)
2. Peterson
3. Alpha or ADG
4.Lapua

5. Norma (because they make the only supply of 7x61 Super S&H which is quite good really)

Peterson, Alpha and ADG have had some growing pains while they figured out the best way to supply high quality brass at the price point for Americans. Some folks have encountered a small problem then blabber all over the internet about how awful the brass is instead of contacting the manufacturer and solving the problem. Great brass now and a great alternative to the Scandinavians. Fan boys have differing opinions.

I have no use for Nosler brass now that other have picked up some of the cartridge lines. Stupidly over priced!

I have no use for Bertram brass at all. 30 years experience with low quality brass. Yep others disagree unfortunately.

I hate Federal and Hornady brass. Too inconsistent lot to lot. Winchester isn't much better.

Couldn't agree more. Excellent assessment!

I have not ever tried Starline.

Starline is not a top of the line brass at all. It's made to provide hard to find cartridge cases available and to supply the middle of the road buyers with an alternative to Remington and Winchester. I've had some that was really good but then the next batch was mediocre. Consistency is not the operative word in a description.

Opinions vary of course. We all want to believe that our choices are the best so we look intelligent. Not everyone needs the very best or have lower expectations for their choices.

Enjoy!

:)

Since no reloading forum I figure this best place to ask. Any real difference in say Hornady Or Norma brass and the winchester or Remington stuff,shooting wise? Not looking for competition shooting with one hole for 5 shots at 1000 yrd just a good quality piece to work with. If the difference in accuracy of round because of more uniform higher quality then maybe can see the difference in cost.

So real difference and all opinions welcomed
Hornady brass in my experience is no better than Winchester or Remington despite price tag different. Nosler brass is absolutely overrated junk considering the premium they want for it.

Winchester is hit and miss. The OLD Winchester brass is actually what I prefer in many cases, a balance of affordability and performance no one else matched. But the Winchester brass from the last decade (maybe longer) is dreadful, as in NECK SPLITS!!! But the older Winchester brass has the most case capacity AND the toughest primer pockets of that budget bracket of brass. I've loved it in my 270 and 300 win mag especially.

Remington isn't quite as tough as Winchester, also not quite as brittle so less splits, that goes both ways. Not horrible, but entirely forgettable haha

Federal has got to be the softest brass on earth besides maybe ultra cheap milsurp stuff maybe. But for commercial brass federal is my LEAST favourite. It is both soft in the primer pocket AND thick enough that capacity is reduced compared to Winchester.

One very UNDERRATED brass in my experience with it is actually PPU brass. My only experience is in .300 win mag. It's not as tough as Winchester BUT starts out with tighter pockets to begin with, is MUCH tougher than federal, and my batch actually had BETTER piece to piece weight and dimension consistency as well as uniformity of neck tension than Winchester, federal, hornady, or Remington BY A LANDSLIDE!!!! And generally cheaper than any of those. Don't turn your nose up at PPU brass and if it's what's available when you need it, buy it.

Norma is softer than some as others have said BUT it actually remains the most consistent brass I've ever used (in my case for my .257 weatherby) as far as neck tension, volume, and weight. It is premium. It's just not as tough as some, not top tier but absolutely it's a very good and CONSISTENT product. Consistent and uniform brass is part of the accuracy equation. Norma brass gives me nothing to worry about in that department.

In my experience (mostly in .300 win mag) lapua and Peterson brass are about on par with each other and both are absolutely worth every penny. Lapua might be just a tad roomier. But they are tough! My all around favourite brass I've ever used and again, more than worth the premium price tag, still a better value for your dollar than any of the cheaper brands. No question.

I have no experience with alpha or adg but hear their in that same league as lapua and Peterson and believe it.

I also hear very good things about RWS but have rarely seen it anywhere.

1. RWS (when I can find it...)
2. Peterson
3. Alpha or ADG
4.Lapua

5. Norma (because they make the only supply of 7x61 Super S&H which is quite good really)

Peterson, Alpha and ADG have had some growing pains while they figured out the best way to supply high quality brass at the price point for Americans. Some folks have encountered a small problem then blabber all over the internet about how awful the brass is instead of contacting the manufacturer and solving the problem. Great brass now and a great alternative to the Scandinavians. Fan boys have differing opinions.

I have no use for Nosler brass now that other have picked up some of the cartridge lines. Stupidly over priced!

I have no use for Bertram brass at all. 30 years experience with low quality brass. Yep others disagree unfortunately.

Couldn't agree more. Excellent assessment!

Starline is not a top of the line brass at all. It's made to provide hard to find cartridge cases available and to supply the middle of the road buyers with an alternative to Remington and Winchester. I've had some that was really good but then the next batch was mediocre. Consistency is not the operative word in a description.

Opinions vary of course. We all want to believe that our choices are the best so we look intelligent. Not everyone needs the very best or have lower expectations for their choices.

Enjoy!

:)
Couldn't agree with ya more about Nosler being ridiculous. No experience with starline here or Bertram. Will probably stay that way haha.

One thing I really appreciate about Peterson is they're making this lapua-type tough as nails match brass for cartridges that never got any love in this regard before. Things like the weatherby magnums and the .270 Winchester for example.

Winchester brass is fairly tough, but annealing is necessary to prevent neck splits. ADG has been good but again when pushed annealing is needed to maintain long life in my experience. I have so far used Alpha in one chambering. I have not had a single issue so far. I can't seem to wear it out. This is in a 6mm creedmoor that has had multiple reloads in everything from hot (hunting) to milder loads (PRS).
I will say that with quality brass one must be careful about reading signs of pressure. By the time the case shows it you are probably running on the edge.

Hornady brass in my experience is no better than Winchester or Remington despite price tag different. Nosler brass is absolutely overrated junk considering the premium they want for it.

Winchester is hit and miss. The OLD Winchester brass is actually what I prefer in many cases, a balance of affordability and performance no one else matched. But the Winchester brass from the last decade (maybe longer) is dreadful, as in NECK SPLITS!!! But the older Winchester brass has the most case capacity AND the toughest primer pockets of that budget bracket of brass. I've loved it in my 270 and 300 win mag especially.

Remington isn't quite as tough as Winchester, also not quite as brittle so less splits, that goes both ways. Not horrible, but entirely forgettable haha

Federal has got to be the softest brass on earth besides maybe ultra cheap milsurp stuff maybe. But for commercial brass federal is my LEAST favourite. It is both soft in the primer pocket AND thick enough that capacity is reduced compared to Winchester.

One very UNDERRATED brass in my experience with it is actually PPU brass. My only experience is in .300 win mag. It's not as tough as Winchester BUT starts out with tighter pockets to begin with, is MUCH tougher than federal, and my batch actually had BETTER piece to piece weight and dimension consistency as well as uniformity of neck tension than Winchester, federal, hornady, or Remington BY A LANDSLIDE!!!! And generally cheaper than any of those. Don't turn your nose up at PPU brass and if it's what's available when you need it, buy it.

Norma is softer than some as others have said BUT it actually remains the most consistent brass I've ever used (in my case for my .257 weatherby) as far as neck tension, volume, and weight. It is premium. It's just not as tough as some, not top tier but absolutely it's a very good and CONSISTENT product. Consistent and uniform brass is part of the accuracy equation. Norma brass gives me nothing to worry about in that department.

In my experience (mostly in .300 win mag) lapua and Peterson brass are about on par with each other and both are absolutely worth every penny. Lapua might be just a tad roomier. But they are tough! My all around favourite brass I've ever used and again, more than worth the premium price tag, still a better value for your dollar than any of the cheaper brands. No question.

I have no experience with alpha or adg but hear their in that same league as lapua and Peterson and believe it.

I also hear very good things about RWS but have rarely seen it anywhere.
I have had similar experiences. In 2003 I think, I bought a case of 500 Black Hills .308 175 gr Match ammo, the brass was headstamped "BHA Match" but was made by Winchester. We shot it up and reloaded that brass I think 12 times with very good results. Very good stuff.

Around the same time I bought either 250 or 500 pieces of "GRAF" headstamped .300WM brass from Graf & Sons, I was told it was PPU brass and it did very well and got many firings out of it.

I just Bought 100 rd's of Lapua Brass, out of Curiosity, to Run against, the 6.5 Creedmoor, Peterson Brass that, I started with.
They "may" last Longer, but I see, NO difference, in Group sizes with, 130 ELD-M's and VV-N160,.. so Far.
BUT,.. I'll keep Testing and Measuring group's,.. Just, in Case,.. LOL !