high buck brass vs cheaper

CHRIS MCBRIDE

Since no reloading forum I figure this best place to ask. Any real difference in say Hornady Or Norma brass and the winchester or Remington stuff,shooting wise? Not looking for competition shooting with one hole for 5 shots at 1000 yrd just a good quality piece to work with. If the difference in accuracy of round because of more uniform higher quality then maybe can see the difference in cost.

So real difference and all opinions welcomed

buy once cry once IMO make sure to anneal and just don't bump the shoulders to much and your brass should last a LONG time and I would avoid Winchester brass. I've literally seen the neck split just from sitting a year it's 🤮 Norma is good but a softer brass compared to other company's brass
But just remember better brass means more consistency which plays a big part into accuracy

I'm not sure I'd say Norma is high dollar brass. Alpha, Lapua, ADG, Peterson are where I'd look for good brass. The consistency is better, so is the brass life as those are thicker brass. I've noticed the ADG brass is a bit "harder" than the Nosler brass (Norma made, I think?), it just seems firmer and heavier. I've bought some Norma brass and don't consider it expensive at all. Those others I've mentioned certainly are though.

Minimal experience with it. In a 223 I ran some Lapua, and not one lick bit of difference compared to LC, Fed, RP. Been running some ADG in a Edge, and so far it seems to be holding up great to the pressures compared to R-P brass. Still in the load development stage, and not seen any accuracy gain over expanded R-P 300RUM brass. So, for me in my minimal experience with it the cost has not outweighed the benefit.

You gun run it on the ragged edge? Or are you gonna run it like driving miss daisy? Higher end brass will take more abuse before it's trash. I wouldn't consider hornady or Norma high end. Better consistency will help accuracy if you are a good enough shooter to see it.

Lapua, Peterson, adg etc..

Last edited:
I've been working up different loads for my 6.5-06 recently with both Winchester and Remington brass. I could get small groups but could not get the low ES and SD necessary to shoot tight groups at long range. I decided to try some Lapua brass and so far I'm seeing single digit ES and SD. With my 308s and Grendel's I still use Lake City Match, Hornady, and Winchester and can get low statistics with that brass with Varget, imr 4064, and especially AR Comp which has proven to be very capable of putting up some very low numbers. But with the 6.5-06 it seems that the Lapua brass is making a difference there. H 1000, Fed 210m, and the Lapua brass is producing several duplicates throughout my strings.

I have a different take on Brass. Yes I prefer Lapua, ADG and Petersen.... But for accuracy I have no issues with Hornady, Winchester, LC etc. It all comes down to your accurate reloading process. Consistency is key! I have loads using each brass because the volume changes with the each brass manufacturer. Some brass will not last as long and is soft like Norma, I just anneal it more often and give Winchester extra love and care.

So for me, it all shoots lights out, it's how you reload it and your process... Any brass will do if you will do

I have a pile of once fired Hornady 6.5 CM brass that was free, and although I can get 100 yd groups well under 1/2" I can not get my extreme spreads under 30fps. Not terrible, better than most factory ammo, but not great either.

I know folks who can get Hornady brass for free, who choose to spend a buck apiece+ for Lapua brass.

Brass is everything. If you're going to the trouble to reload (and you're going to buy new brass) my advice is to buy the good stuff. Lapua, Alpha, Norma, etc.

Norma brass is great for dimensions, but it is soft and will not stand up to high pressure.
Lapua and RWS are the best brands I have ever used, Winchester is very hard, and once prepped correctly and fireformed, volume checked and other factors altered, it is fantastic brass. Remington is good for general hunting application, but it does have heavy walls and a thinner web than Winchester. Norma has the thinnest web and walls of any brass I have encountered.
The above mentioned US brands are top notch, however getting them in Australia is difficult, to say the least…

Cheers.

Alpha not too bad priced.Lapua should be **** good at 2bucks a round unprimed brass for 7mm-08. Lapua does not seem to make 7mm mag brass. will check others. May do 100 rounds of alpha and see waht difference is from mu cheapo remington stuff