Herter's brass from late 1960's, still good?

6x6 elk

I was given some Herter's 7mm Remington Magnum brass, the ammunition is from the late 60's, the previous owner recently fired the ammunition a few months ago without a problem, he gave me the brass, most of the brass looks in good shape, about 10 rounds have a lot of tarnish, haven't tumbled yet,is this brass safe to reload(hasn't be reloaded yet), or toss in the trash? I've never used brass this old. Thanks for your advise.

I personally would definitely anneal it, hot/cold cycles (summer/winter) over the years might have work hardened the brass. And most certainly tumble it.

Structurally it will be fine. I would anneal as has been suggested. Other than that just proceed with normal prep and run it.

Thanks for the help everyone. I remember when I was a kid and Herter's was one of the big fishing and hunting suppliers. I know they have waterfowl gear through cabelas with there name on it, but nothing like they used to be.

Herter's was a big company back then. I have part of a box of 243 Win. brass I bought about 1967. It has been reloaded many, many times. Check the weight of the brass The 243 Win. Brass I have is about as heavy as Military 7.62X51 NATO Brass.

Before the 1968 gun law I bought a Sako 7mm Rem Mag. from Herter's. I have a powder funnel still in the Herter's box. Would like to have all the Military Surplus 4831 that has went through that funnel. They sold everything from Rifles to Black walnut flavoring. I have a set of First, II and III Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices books written by George Leonard Herter and Berthe E. Herter too.
Brings back a lot of memories.

I am still shooting old Herters 6.5 Swedish Mauser loaded ammo, and it is fine. Empty brass has probably been hardened, and as others have said, needs to be annealed.

I bought a lot of stuff from George back then, still have a catalog. I heard he went crazy and died in an insane asylum.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.