Imr powder in metal cans still good?

Tac-O

I have someone requesting a powder trade and they're offering imr powder that's in metal cans.

I'm wondering if there would still be just as good as new mfg powder if they're unopened? Does it deteriorate in an unopened metal can? I would assume it would be a gamble...

I would hesitate to trade for it unless your real confident in your source. I have some in metals can and it is fine but I know its whole history. I'm thinking they haven't used metals cans in around 12-15 yrs?

you have to watch for rust from the metal can . I have some powder from way back that got rusty . other cans were just fine , so I dumped the good powders in empty plastic powder cans .

Attachments

• PA180962.JPG
    PA180962.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 282
  • PA180963.JPG
    PA180963.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 292
  • PA180970.JPG
    PA180970.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 236
  • PA180974.JPG
    PA180974.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 322
  • PA180971.JPG
    PA180971.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 294
I wouldn't be concerned if the can looks good, especially from a dry climate. I've got a few old cans from the 90's that still look great, powder smells like powder. Heck I don't consider the 90's all that long ago though lol.

The other side of it are the advancements newer powders have in temp stability etc that older stuff won't.

I wouldn't be concerned if the can looks good, especially from a dry climate. I've got a few old cans from the 90's that still look great, powder smells like powder. Heck I don't consider the 90's all that long ago though lol.

The other side of it are the advancements newer powders have in temp stability etc that older stuff won't.
Same here. I have IMR powders that I bought in the late 80's early 90's that I stored inside. Except for the dust on the cans it looks like the day I bought it.

I am getting ready to move and come across some Herco powder in the old paper round container. Still have some powder in it. It smell good, it had to be 40 years old, but put the powder out on the ground and lighted it off. It burned quickly. I feel it was probable still good, but I don't use it anymore. After that my thinking was I should have saved it. To Bad, To Bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.