Herter's Neck Sizing Die Instructions

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rmorgan9718, Jan 28, 2013.

1. rmorgan9718

rmorgan9718 Well-Known Member

If anyone has an old Herter's neck sizing die, I would really appreciate a copy of the instructions. I ended up with one and want to try it on some 30-06 brass.

Thanks,
    Rick

2. TracySes23

TracySes23 Well-Known Member

I have a Herter's neck sizing die for a 22-250 from the 1970's. I don't have the instructions, but I used it the same as normal dies in the 70's.
    I wonder if your's is the same as mine, only in a different caliber. The sizing die portion of mine floats in a threaded sleeve. From my recollection, that was to allow it to float over the brass case as the ram was raised to insure better alignment with the brass. I never checked it to see if that was true or not.
    I haven't used it for sizing for many years, but I like to use it only for de-priming without sizing anything. I simply screw the de-priming rod down as far as it will go to avoid neck sizing. I like to remove the primer before cleaning my cases.

Spencer

3. rmorgan9718

Spencer,

About what I figured and how I started to use it. I have buckets of old 30-06 mil surp brass and I am too cheap to throw it out. I found that by neck sizing the brass once fired in my Howa 1500, my standard load holds about 3/4" at 200 yds. Good enough for hunting anything I'm gonna go after, besides, I can't see worth a flip to shoot past 600 yds.

Thanks,
    Rick

4. TracySes23

TracySes23 Well-Known Member

3/4" at 200 yds is excellent! I'm an old fart at 72 & after 20 rounds at the range my eyes don't seem to work worth a darn.
    Wearing trifocals when looking thru a scope sucks. Taking them off doesn't help. I ordered some special glasses that allow me to see clearly up close out of the top & the same out of the bottom. The middle is for long distance. I hope this improves my shooting from the bench.
    I think you'll do fine hunting with groups that small.

Spencer

5. rmorgan9718

now if I can just find these in .243W, .257R, 6.5x55 SWEDE, 270W, 280REM, and 308W, AND 35REM, I'll be good to go. I'm gonna try the 308 in it, but I think the case is too short to reach the necking area.

ah well, if wishes were horses, we'd all ride harleys....