Neck sizing die

mgrunloh

Stupid question time from a new reloader.

Are neck sizing dies cartridge specific, or can I use the same one on my 6.5cm and 264wm?

I searched google and can't find this answered

Another "it depends" answer.

Suppose you have a piece of brass that is a different design than a NK Die. If your piece of brass happens to have dimensions for length and diameter where the neck will go up inside the die and not interfere with the shoulder or case body, then if you are very careful it can work.

If a case fit's it'll work fine. So you can use a larger die for a smaller case, but not necessarily vice versa.

6.5CM and 264 WM should work. 338 Lapua in a 223 Rem shouldn't. I use a WSSM die as a universal neck die and haven't found something that doesn't fit yet.

I would think that case length would make the difference, might work alright if you keep adjusting to fit each cartridge, if possible. I haven't tried them ???

My guess that best deal would be to get a generic neck sizer. I've used a Hornady generic neck die (about $30). Just get one in .264 and set it up depending on which cartridge you don't have neck sizing ability. Should make things easier and faster. I have both .264 and .284 Hornady generic neck sizers and they come in handy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221127-141757_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221127-141757_Chrome.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 31