Imr powder in metal cans still good?

I'm still using a metal container of IMR 4064 from the mid 90's. You should be able to detect an acrid smell and/or rust color if it's bad. Like mentioned previously it's all about storage. Obviously I don't use IMR 4064 too much but have been testing it in some loads recently. I love the $12.95 price sticker!

I'm still using a metal container of IMR 4064 from the mid 90's. You should be able to detect an acrid smell and/or rust color if it's bad. Like mentioned previously it's all about storage. Obviously I don't use IMR 4064 too much but have been testing it in some loads recently. I love the $12.95 price sticker!

Oh wouldn't that price be nice!

I definitely would have traded if the cans weren't rusty and he was the first owner

I still have a 3lb. red can of Unique powder that I have been pecking away at for the past 20+ years and it still works just fine for me and my .45s; 5.5gr over 200gr SWC, But.....it has been stored in a cool, dry basement. I've also got some IMR 4064 kicking around down there also, it all works just fine. I wouldn't shy away from powder just because it is in cans.

With proper storage it will last longer than you realize. I am finishing up a bottle of Unique that is pushing 40 years old that I got from my uncle that started me reloading. It works fine for target practice and have had no issues with it. For self defense loads I would use something fresher though just for peace of mind.

I got some IMR 4320 in trade. It may be a little dusty but it chronographs at the velocity and ES you would expect. I'm using what I perceive to be the oldest can first.
20210315_162418.jpg

Oh wouldn't that price be nice!

I definitely would have traded if the cans weren't rusty and he was the first owner
$12.95, reminds me of the price sticker on my "old" Lyman D7 scale, 11.95. I still have a couple of old IMR powder cans used exclusively for my wife .17 Rem. Still fine. I

This!!! and it loses its "Solvent" scent. At that point use it for plant or lawn fertilizer and water it good.
I worked at badger army ammunition plant as a chemist. they made powder during Ww2 and vietnam. I picked up w844 from the vietnam era it still smells of solvent and works fine. If the container smells acrid (a sharp smell) it is degrading and could be unstable and spontaneously combust. Get out of the house pour it out and burn it (more fun than using it for fertilizer!).

I still have several cans of IMR4198 marked Dupont. It smells good and works good. I have had one can of 7828 go bad over the years- It did not have a solvent smell, so it was dumped. There was rusty colored dust in the powder. So to the OP's question, if you can not check it out yourself, it is best to pass.

As most have stated, the storage conditions mean everything. Decades ago, I used some large paper canister stored powders that were bulk packed from WWII, and at the time, they were 35-40 years old. Another bulk purchase of Red Dot in 8# paper canisters from the early 80's lasted me into the 2000's, and it worked just as well as when first purchased. Today, I still have several pounds of Dupont and IMR powders that are in their original cans from the 70's, 80's and 90's, and ever so often, I open one to duplicate a few old loads I developed back in the day. They work, but I do inspect each before loading. Wet and warm conditions can cause can rust and powder degradation.

As a few have stated, it is interesting to look at the old price tags on some of these powders: $4.95, $5.49, $6.95, etc for 1lb, and the old 8# canisters of Red Dot were $35 per. I have 2 remaining 8 gallon plastic jugs of 5.56/7.62 mil surplus powders from the early 90's that work well, and I wish I could buy powder again for those prices: $100 per 4 jugs/32 lbs SHIPPED.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.