Here We Go Again! I need to build a Mule Deer Rifle

I saw the Ackley mentioned, man there a LOT of good wildcats in .27-.28. ESPECIALLY if you can run your own cases.

270 Sherman. Who knew! :)

I know this subject is worn out but things are constantly changing and I want to hear from knowledgable shooters.
Last year I took a Mule Deer buck with a 6 Creed at a little over 350 yds because .270 got damaged. Deer dropped in its tracks with a shot through the shoulders. Guides kinda didn't like the idea but my other option was to shoot an unfamiliar, borrowed rifle, but that is another story.
I have an empty short action (bolt head isn't an issue) and was thinking about putting something together to shoot out to about 400. I was thinking about 7-08 but maybe I'm missing other options. I have also thought about 270 WSSM, but never shot one and recoil.....
Maybe experienced people can chime in with thoughts on something else or both. Recoil is a consideration, I hand load for several current and former wildcats but for this one, I can/will hand load but off shelf or internet ammo would be good.
Bullet selection, barrel twist etc suggestions welcome, short barrel is a plus, I do not want a 6.5 Creedmore!
Oh yea, going to same place this year!

I have three empty American Rifle Company SHORT actions and that is what I'm using!!!
It is practically the first of Sept. You maybe working on next years build.

One of the options I mentioned before was the 260 Rem. 120-140 grain bullets would be perfect and with a bit less recoil. Also, I would go with as heavy of a contour on the barrel as you figure you can get away with to help soak up a little more recoil. But a 7mm-08 is also a good option.

400 yards is not a short poke, and a 16 1/2" barrel you'd need a calendar not a Chrono to check the speed at target. Kidding. Problem with hunting forums is we rarely get 100% honesty. All of our shots are not perfect and small calibers have less margin for error. The OP has a medical issue so that's different. But there are a lot of proponents here advocating small energy producing calibers for one of the toughest animals in North America.
I'm not saying he has killed lots of elk, but it could have been 2? I don't know? I've known him my whole life and my statement isn't inflaminated nor exaggerated. Not sure what make it is, but he uses Sierra 140Sbt (I believe)with estimated velocity in the high 2,500 to low 2,600 fps. I just know it's within 400 yards, but not sure how far his longest kill was? The gun is an early '70s model and exact barrel length? I'll try and find out more info.

HI again Boat Ninja!!! So did you get your 270 Win yet?? Great caliber for deer, factory ammo readily available, moderate recoil. Weather in a classic full-size rifle like a Win Model 70 Super grade, or light weight rifle like a Weatherby Ultralight or Kimber!! Its the classic American Deer cartridge. Now its time to talk about rings, bases and scopes!!! Cmon son , were burnin daylight!!! LOL!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4740 Thornbury Day One, 11 Point  Weatherby Ultralight  270 Win.jpg
    IMG_4740 Thornbury Day One, 11 Point Weatherby Ultralight 270 Win.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
So I have do have the 270wsm recoil is pretty good running 130s at 3050fps . Pretty much the same recoil as my 264 win mag with 130s

Your 6 creed is a perfect deer slaying machine! You said it shoots very accurately. There is zero reason to buy any other rifle for deer. They're not hard to kill. Sounds like you just want to buy another rifle!

.279, 7/08, 308 will all recoil slightly more (no one shoots better with more recoil). And the deer won't be any more dead than the last deer your shot with your 6 creed. If I HAD to use a .223, 400yds and under (with the right bullets), I wouldn't loose any sleep.

Buy more ammo for your 6 creed and shoot it more. You'll be more deadly than if you bought a new gun instead.

Last edited:
Slipped on iced up running board getting out of Jacked up truck, landed on top of gun, bolt open, magazine in hand, in the rocks, barrel full of snow, two broken ribs.
I was the only person there that wasn't shooting something that ended in Magnum. I had brought the 6 Creed on the off chance a varmint hunt was possible.
Ouch, glad you are ok!

6.5 SAUM recoil is like a 270 Win.
Over the counter ammo, not so much, but can be custom ordered. Same weights going a few hundred FPS faster with a little but more slip.

Walk into any retail outlet and look at the shelves...
.308 will have 12 choices.
6.5cm 3-4 maybe
7mm-08 one if lucky

The 175/.308 Terminal Ascent is bad medicine if your gun likes them.
Also, there is a near 90 page thread currently trending on here...
The Terminal Ascent or Trophy Bonded Tip Federal loads are both bad medicine on any type of game!

OK, Shooters with experience or solid data can help now!!
I think I've narrowed it down to .277 or 7mm something or another and I'm thinking 7mm-08 or as 4thefunofit just suggested .277 Sig fury. Ideally I would like to shoot no less than 130gr no more than150 gr Bullets and am partial to 130's but bullet selection comes in to play here. I am also partial to slow twist barrels and long bullets. I have three ARC short actions ready to go. I want to order a barrel ASAP.

This got waaaay more complicated than I expected and no fault to people who replied it is hard to get good answers without telling my life/shooting history. and sometimes people could save time by reading the entire OP.
270 wsm will do everything the 7mm08 and more. Add a brake or can, it will save your back.

If you like the 7mm08 go for it you'll be good. I've only owned one and it was a killer. Magnum research lone eagle single shooter gandgun My load was 41.8grs of IMR4064 under a Hornady 154gr. s.p. velocity out of that 14" bbl was only 2390fps. But it was bad in its own right. Have fun!

I had some real serious shoulder surgery several years ago and it has made me aware of unnecessary recoil.
I always travel with two rifles and they are 7mm SAUM and 308 win. Two years ago my 7mm got damaged while traveling. The hunt for Mule & Antelope were with my backup 22" 308 win with 162 pills.
Mule was taken at 375 and the antelope was 450. Both good placement and DRT.
The 7mm and the 308 are great hunting rounds and there is nothing in NA they won't drop if I do my job.
I reload but if needed the 308 is available anywhere and that is a big plus. The 7mm is available but not nearly as good as the 308.
My last comment is that the 7-08 is a great hunting round and adds a little flatter run then the 308 and it can reach out a little farther with the right loads. The recoil on the 7-08 is not punishing.