help with a 17hmr trainer please

Wysongdog

I'm looking at building a full size 17hmr trainer. I'm thinking either a McMillan a3 or a5 stock with a heavy lijia barrel. Just thinking outloud here. What are your guys' thoughts? This is my first time tackling a project like this so any and all help will be appreciated.
Thanks Bryan

First question is why a 17HMR?

Forgetting that for now.

The CZ 455 is a very accurate rifle. Comes in a variety of configurations and rimfire calibers. I have shot more than one and find them accurate and forgiving of technique, hard hold vs soft hold etc..

The same for the Savage 93 series except that I find them very sensitive to hold. Light hold seems best but change in hold will change POI.

Ruger 77 series rimfires are better than I would have would thought. I've said it before, when I was young if you tried to talk me into a Ruger, I would have told you to take a hike. Now completely different world.

Ruger American Rimfire. I'm gonna go for it for Christmas. I have everything else I could possibly want or parts to make it from so time for something different.

First question is why a 17HMR?

Forgetting that for now.

The CZ 455 is a very accurate rifle. Comes in a variety of configurations and rimfire calibers. I have shot more than one and find them accurate and forgiving of technique, hard hold vs soft hold etc..

The same for the Savage 93 series except that I find them very sensitive to hold. Light hold seems best but change in hold will change POI.

Ruger 77 series rimfires are better than I would have would thought. I've said it before, when I was young if you tried to talk me into a Ruger, I would have told you to take a hike. Now completely different world.

Ruger American Rimfire. I'm gonna go for it for Christmas. I have everything else I could possibly want or parts to make it from so time for something different.

17hmr because that's what the kids use shooting prairie dogs and I can find 17 hmr ammo anywhere.

I did see one of the ruger's at shceels and it felt like full grown rifle over the others. Savage also had one a tactical trainer also.

I bought a CZ 453 as a trainer / light hunting rifle. I've taken a few yotes and hogs along with many many coons. I routinely carry it to the bow stand.

I'm running a 30mm Weaver Kaspa 3-12x42 in BKL rings.

They're hard to beat for their accuracy in this price point...IMO.

Attachments

• CZ coon hunt.jpg
    CZ coon hunt.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.